When was your drain removed?

bdaycakegirl
on 9/20/13 12:23 am

At my consult they said before I leave the hospital. I thought you kept it a while?

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

Justcallmesuz
on 9/20/13 12:37 am
RNY on 05/08/13

Mine was removed the day I left. 2nd day.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

saterry
on 9/20/13 12:46 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I have had drains a few times and cared for patients with them for many years.

Some surgeries require more irrigation during the procedure. Some patients have scar tissue which requires more cutting and leads to more drainage post op. When drainage slows or stops, the nurse or surgeon will pull it. (Yes we pull drains)

I have seen 1 day to 2 weeks. If you go home with this drain it is for your protection. Before discharge you will be instructed on caring for your drain,

If it comes out before you are discharged, which it most likely will, it comes out fast so its over quickly !

Good luck on your journey !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

molly3613
on 9/20/13 1:03 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

The doctor pulled mine at my one week post op visit.  I had my lap band removed and scar tissue removed during the bypass surgery so I had a lot of swelling etc.  I also stayed three days in the hospital so it was not a very easy surgery.  But the drain came out with just one shriek from me.  He worked quickly.  

Ocalasam
on 9/20/13 1:08 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Mine was removed before I left the hospital.

The Salty Hag
on 9/20/13 1:11 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I had mine in for 10 days, which is standard for my surgeon. I hated it, that was what caused me the most discomfort.

The nurses at the hospital used Press n Seal to cover my bandages. I thought that was a nifty idea. My skin still got irritated, but not anywhere near as much as tape would have. I used Press n Seal at home too, and it made changing bandages SO much easier.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

poet_kelly
on 9/20/13 1:13 am - OH

I didn't have a drain at all.  It is up to your surgeon.  If you need it longer, they will leave it in longer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KatBee
on 9/20/13 1:35 am

No drain here

karin602
on 9/20/13 2:19 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Lucky me = my doc doesn't do drains.  Also no bandages, dressings - just some inside stitches which self dissolve and glue over the incisions which wears off.  Made coming home so much easier.

Karin

Eatingtolive
on 9/20/13 2:51 am

Mine was removed one week post op. 

Most Active
Recent Topics