Pre surgery anxiety

Kaena1068
on 9/20/13 11:47 am

Hello,

This is my first post here... I'm still going thru pre-op requirements.. still have yet to meet with my surgeon for a one on one.

At first I was all gung ho about getting the surgery done.. now I've been having doubts if this is the right thing??

I have lost weight before on my own, and I keep telling myself that I can.. but I don't know anymore.

Has anyone else struggled with this? I just want to be healthy first and foremost.. everything else is a bonus.

thanks for listening

Coder
on 9/20/13 12:15 pm - PA
RNY on 12/18/13

I am pre-I op also, scheduled for mid December.  I had the same feelings, but I finally decided at age 56 I want to live the rest of my life feeling better.  I went back and forth for months, should I or shouldn't  I.  When I made up my mind to do this I was so relieved and knew this was the right decision for me.  Since I've started my pre op requirements I haven't looked back.  Try to meet with your surgeon, this will help as I felt more confident after talking to him, 

Kaena1068
on 9/20/13 12:30 pm

Hi thanks for replying...

Yeah, have to have one more test, get cardiac clearnace and then meet with surgeon.. I've already been to the 3 hr nutritional seminar which was helpful.

it's just a bit overwhelming.. but like u said.. i'm 45 and want to be healthy for the remainder of my life.

-Babydoll-
on 9/20/13 12:47 pm - Racine, WI
RNY on 08/08/13
I was also excited when I first started the process and then I started feeling the same way, should I shouldn't I. I went back and forth all the way up till I was being prep'd for surgery. I knew deep down I wanted to do this but couldn't help but have thoughts if its what I should do. I had my surgery in the begining of Aug and I know I'm not that far out but everyday I'm so glad I did it even through the complications. The things that are and are getting so much easier to do and improvement in my health make me know I did the right thing for me. Good luck on your journey what ever you decide..

jamienichols22
on 9/20/13 1:19 pm - MI

This is normal. This is a big step to commit to because it isn't just a surgery it's a life changing experience. All I have left to do is my pysch eval which is on the 25th and they are shooting for the end of Oct for my date. I have been through a emotional roller coaster as far as the ups and downs of it. Just keep telling yourself that this healthier life is so worth it

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Beverly2013
on 9/20/13 2:14 pm

I had surgery 4 weeks ago.  I  chickened out 2 other times and finally did it on the 3rd time around.   I have been heavy for 30 years and so glad I did it.  I have lost 28 pounds.  You will have a day after surgery in which you will probably 2nd guess what you have done and be scared.  You will get through it.  Just have someone to talk to and stay positive.  I have not had such a day since the one after surgery.  I am so glad I did it.  I too have lost and gain through my life. I have done good with weigh****chers and than gained it all back when I didn't stick with going to weigh****chers.  My doctor totally supports my decision and believes in this surgery so she referred me for it.  Try and talk to people who had it and also they are good resources to talk to after word.They have been at the same spot you are at.  Remember it can be undone if need be.  Although why would you want to un do it.  Try and stay strong and try not to think about it too much ahead of time.  Wish you well with your decision. Hang in there

Bibo
on 9/20/13 3:25 pm

It's totally normal to have anxiety. I had the same thought, about I might be able to lose it again. I had lost down to my goal weight once, and then for a lot of cir****tances and reasons, gained it back, and then some. And then when I was eating healthy, it was impossible to lose. I was binging on carrots and the scale did not budge. It may be for some people they can lose it without surgery. I know many that have. The difference for me is that, once I had the surgery, it's like getting in a pool after being on dry land for a long time...in the water, it's a totally different experience, although I am still "me" on the inside, my experience of my body is so different. It's hard to put it into words, exactly, but I feel so much better. I can exercise without being sore. I can eat a small amount of carrots, and protein and be full for several hours. A lot of my other medical conditions are finally getting addressed because my doctors don't see a fat person sitting there in the office. I would do it again in a minute, and i even had a complication.  It's a huge decision to make. I have known people that don't do it, and find other ways to manage the food, the weight, the medical issues, the emotional issues that can be a part of being obese. I wish you luck and happiness as you search for the solution that makes sense in your life. Why did you want to do it, what are your reservations now? What is your plan either way to take care of You in a way that makes sense for You? 

KarenElaine
on 9/20/13 10:32 pm - Manteo, NC

I'm starting the process myself.  I really want to get healthy too!!!  I'm not as close to surgery as you yet, but I am so glad I have made the decision to do this.  I haven't had any doubts yet, but I do wonder if it's necessary to go to extreme of WLS.  So when I think to myself, I've lost weight before, I can do it again, I'm right.  But I have never been able to lose the amount of weight I need to be happy and healthy, and I've never been able to maintain any weight loss.  I'm 45 and it's time to become happy and healthy.

Good luck with your decision.

Kaena1068
on 9/23/13 11:41 am

Hi everyone...

Thanks for replying...

It certainly is a roller coaster of emotions, eh?? I was thinking, "OMG.. I'm never going to be able to enjoy sweets again"  after talking with a co-worker who is about 10 years out, she is able to enjoy sweets. just in moderation. and..no food, no matter what it is, is going to be able to compare to being healthy, happy and off meds/sleep apnea machine.

I have decided at this time to get the RNY. My boyfriend is getting the sleeve, so I know I will have a wonderful support system.

Thank you for listening. and I also plan on being active here.

enlightened

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 275 views