any ladies have gone through a hysterectomy?

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/13 10:22 am

I had a ablation of my uterus. But I felt horrible. I had major cysts on my ovaries. I chose to have it all removed. The cysts grew in three months from a golf ball to a grapefruit.I actually have lost weight since I had my hysterectomy. it is a big decision to make.Best wishes

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/1/13 12:06 pm
I had one at the end of April; I have lost 12 pounds since then. I am not attibuting the loss to my hysterectomy but I don't think weight gain is inevitable.
I was worried about gaining too. My doctor told me I could have a hysterectomy ****pt my ovaries) or continue enjoying all the fun I had been having with excessive bleeding etc. So I had a hysterectomy and I am so happy I did. Freedom!
I do have a Joker style scar because he could not do surgery lap due to the very large fibroid I had, but my belly didn't look great anyway. I also have slight dryness, but I can live with it.
Take care and keep us posted

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Karen R.
on 10/1/13 1:29 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I had a total hysterectomy in 2009.  Best thing I ever did.  I felt so much better afterwards.  I'd had really tough monthlies for over a year and at one point had pain so badly it literally brought me to my knees.  It turns out my insides were covered with fibroid tumors, including one that was the size of a grapefruit.  When my gynecologist called me with the results of ultrasound she'd ordered performed, she said, "My!  You do have a lot going on in your insides!"  I gained a small amount of weight, but I think that was more about me being inactive than anything hormonal. 

I was off work for four weeks, went back to work for a day and then had to take two more weeks off on complete bed rest.  My surgeon had nicked my bladder when he went in to remove everything else, and I'd gone home with a catheter in.  Unfortunately, the bladder didn't heal completely within the first four weeks (despite the catheter having been out at that point over two weeks).  So to avoid him having to do a second surgery he wanted me to be as immobile as possible so the small hole could heal on its own.

Six weeks is a long time to be basically a couch potato.

Afterwards, I needed estrogen.  Otherwise, I woke up multiple times a night from hot flashes (they're just miserable).  I'd continued taking that for nearly three years.  I'm off it now, largely because it's really hard to get in the Middle East.  "Hormone replacement therapy" is seen as a big deal here and is thought to be dangerous (even though for someone like me who doesn't have a cervix the threat is negligible).  I can only get it by being seen by a doc at the public hospital here and that's more bother than it's worth.  I still get hot flashes, but they're not as severe as they'd been and they occur less frequently.

I wouldn't worry about weight.  Do what makes sense for the rest of you.  It will come off if you gain a bit.  Look at me.  It hasn't stopped my WLS from being successful.  Best of luck to you.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

martitalinda
on 10/1/13 2:10 pm

I had a TAH at age 29 prior to WLS and don't recall gaining any weight because of it. Not to worry, everything will work out and you are going to feel so much better after it is done ... ((((((hugs))))))

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Candy V.
on 10/1/13 8:21 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I had one (kept ovaries) two and a half weeks ago due to anemia from heavy bleeding.  I have lost 6 lbs since but I also had a TT so 2 lbs of it was skin. 

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Amanda M.
on 10/2/13 1:37 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
Did your gyno do your tummy tuck and hysterectomy at the same time? I was curious as to whether or not that could be done...

daisy142
on 10/1/13 11:49 pm - TX
I am still pre-op (surgery Nov. 7th). I had a hysterectomy and ovaries out 2 years ago due to constant bleeding, horrible PMS & PMDD, zero (and i mean ZERO) energy. I have not had weight gain because of the hysterectomy, in fact, I felt SO MUCH BETTER after the hysterectomy, that I was able start walking and lost about 50 lbs. I tried no estrogen for about 4 months but the night hot flashes drove me crazy so I take the lowest does of estrogen and am great. So glad I had it done and the ovaries taken out!! I feel so much better and have tons more energy.

Now , the flip side. A good friend of mine had her hysterectomy about 8 months after me, ovaries stayed in, and she is having some weight gain that is a little unexplainable. She is not obese,has normal BMI, rides a stationary bike everyday and homeschools 3 elementary age school kiddos. She has been tracking her food on myfitnesspal and her protein is up and white carbs low, so she is eating good, but has gained about 8 lbs that she cannot explain. She thinks it is from the hysterectomy.

My thought and feeling is if the hysterectomy will greatly improve your health and life, it would be worth a potential small weight gain. Just my thoughts on the matter. Good luck to you and I wish you the absolute best !!

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

kisersassy
on 10/2/13 12:48 pm - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
I had complete hysterectomy May 2nd and lost 14 pounds in May. But, I have not loss one ounce since. I actually have gained. I got down to 180 and now fluctuate between 185-187 I will be a year post op gastric bypass October 29th. So I stopped losing weight at 7 months post op gastric bypass
Bibo
on 10/5/13 5:05 am
Had rny may 1 had total laproscopic hyst. Sept 23. I got in the pool today and swam 20 min and walked a 20 min mile. My weight loss has continued. I also had a mastectomy with reconstruction aug 12.