on 10/14/13 2:59 am
RNY on 12/18/12

These are the lab results I just got at my 9 month check up:

total iron = 66

ferritin = 63

b12 = 836

D = 38

calcium = 9.5

My doctor said everything looked fine.  My liver enzymes were elevated, but I'm having my gallbladder out on Thursday.  What do you think??  Do you need to see any other numbers?

poet_kelly
on 10/14/13 3:05 am - OH

That all looks fine except your vitamin D.  According to the Linus Pauling Institute, that needs to be at least 80.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ocalasam
on 10/14/13 3:07 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Thanks, Kelly!  Then, my vitamin D seems pretty low.  I have read you posting about "dry" vitamin D3. . . does that just mean in pill form??  How much should I take?

poet_kelly
on 10/14/13 3:18 am - OH

It means not in oil, so not those softgels with oily stuff in them.  It can be a dry tablet or a capsule with dry powdery stuff inside.

How much to take is not as simple a question as it may seem.  I've talked to lots of post ops and most seem to need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day to maintain a level of 80.  I've talked to three people that could maintain a level of 80 on just 5,000 IU a day.  Everyone else has needed at least 10,000 IU.  I personally have to take 50,000 IU three times a week (which works out to almost 28,000 IU a day) to keep my level around 100.

I've known many people that, when their level was low like yours is, that took 50,000 IU a day for a month or two, then get it tested again to see where they stand.  When mine was 25, I had to take 50,000 IU daily for several months to get it above 80.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ocalasam
on 10/14/13 3:53 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Thanks for your reply, Kelly.  I get more information from this site than my doctor's office!  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/13 9:48 am

Just wanted to say to vet Kelly, I see how much you are called upon. Your knowledge is unsurpassed, and we are all so lucky and it is our privilege that you are here and willing to advise. Thank you Kelly.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 347 views