Am I starving or just head hungry?

Lianne D.
on 10/17/13 12:12 pm, edited 10/17/13 12:32 pm - Burnsville, MN
RNY on 10/14/13
So surgery was monday 10/14 everthing went well but I havent been getting full off of what i have been eating and im really scared of overeating. I'm on full liquid/puree for 2weeks and I just dont know when to stop. Like right now I feel hungry but I just had cream soup about 1oz size and im giving myself 30 min per meal Iike suggested to finish. Is it really hunger or head hunger.
poet_kelly
on 10/17/13 12:22 pm - OH

Probably head hunger.  However, you're on liquids and they don't stay in the pouch very long.  You could try a protein shake and if you want to make it more filling, you can put it in the blender with some ice, which will make it thicker.  You can drink as quickly as you feel comfortable drinking, so you can have more than one ounce of a protein shake in 30 minutes.  If you guzzle it, though, it may feel pretty uncomfortable.  If you make a good protein shake and drink it however fast it feels comfortable, there is a good chance you'll feel more satisfied.

One way I judge whether it's head hunger or real hunger is by whether I'm hungry for a particular food or if any food will do.  If I'm starving for a particular food, it's probably head hunger.  If I'm really hungry, anything that fills up my belly will probably do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ChristinAngel
on 10/17/13 10:54 pm - MA
RNY on 09/04/13
This is an ongoing struggle for me. I measure what I'm supposed to eat and that's it
debbysjourney
on 10/17/13 11:38 pm
RNY on 10/14/13

I had my surgery on the 14th also, but they filled me up so much of IV fluids the night before and day that I was released, (Tues afternoon) that I haven't felt like eating(drinking food) yet.  My Dr told me that was normal, just get my vitamins and liquids in.  Course I haven't been dizzy otherwise I would definitely probably start on the protein shakes or at least try.  

How is your soreness?  Today is the first day I can feel a relief to my stomach.  I thought I was walking a lot around the house.  I don't want family waiting on me,, unless to lift something, so I thought I was getting enough exercise, but the soreness and gas just wasn't leaving.  I took 2 walks yesterday and started walking the length of the house a couple times.  What a difference.  My legs/hips get sore, but was a relief to both my stomach (can stand straighter now) and the air relief....lol

My weight is still higher than when I went in, but it is going down.  I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about starting real foods for the same reasons you mentioned and plan to measure everything like I do my liquids.  I would strongly suggest measuring too, to be sure you're getting enough, but not too much.  

We a starting a new healthier life and I feel the best is yet to come.  :)

Debbie  

Lianne D.
on 10/18/13 1:32 am - Burnsville, MN
RNY on 10/14/13
So due to my gas I asked if I could stay in the hospital another night my surgeon agreed it was so painful. Wednesday after leaving I felt okay still a little sore but seems to be wearing off was very gassy yesterday and that helped. I am on a liquid/puree diet for two 2weeks from surgery day and im not eating anything heavy but I just dont want to start dumping. Im hoping once I start soft diet things will change.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views