thirsty while eating

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 6:35 am
I am 2.5 weeks out and whenever I eat I get thirsty. I know i can't drink while I eat but sometimes I can't help it. Any tips for me to not be so thirsty? I already have dumping syndrome often and I don't want to make that worse but I want a drink so badly when eating.

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 6:39 am - OH

Why are you dumping often?  Are you eating a lot of stuff high in sugar already?

Drinking with meals won't cause dumping.  What it does it wash food out of your pouch so you get hungry fast and can eat more food.

Drink a lot right before you eat and eat moist food. Take a small sip with your meal if you really need to or try sucking on an ice cube.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 6:47 am, edited 10/18/13 6:48 am

I dont get a lot of sugar. I am too nervous hurt myself but I have a problem if my food is not thick enough. It was bad while I was on the liquid stage. my protein shakes are tough still if I just do water and the powder. I have to make them a bit thicker to keep them in my system. my Dr doesn't think it is the sugar but the consistency. apple sauce is bad or if I make my cream of wheat with too much milk it is bad. my doctor is watching me. She just calls me ultra sensitive. I also still have a lot of swelling so I am only able to consume 1.5 to 2 oz at a time 4 times a day. she said as long as it is at least 4 times a day thats alright.  I know I need the calories and the food and I dont want to fill my pouch with liquids before I get them. I think I just need to eat more moist food which is hard because I crave flavor of any kind.

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 7:04 am - OH

The consistency of your food doesn't cause dumping.  You might not tolerate foods of certain consistencies well, but that won't be causing dumping.  Dumping is a specific physiological reaction to sugar.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 7:16 am

thats what my dr said. I told her what my symptoms are and what I am eating when I feel them. she said it was dumping and that I need to try to thicken my food to help it stay in the pouch a little longer. I dont vomit. I just get dizzy and stomach cramping and stuff like that. there are many symptoms of dumping.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/18/13 7:21 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM Pacific Time, bsouder2210 wrote:

thats what my dr said. I told her what my symptoms are and what I am eating when I feel them. she said it was dumping and that I need to try to thicken my food to help it stay in the pouch a little longer. I dont vomit. I just get dizzy and stomach cramping and stuff like that. there are many symptoms of dumping.

Your bariatric surgeon told you this or your PCP told you this?

Because I find it hard to believe a bariatric surgeon would be so misinformed. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 7:38 am

all research I have done says:

"In dumping syndrome, food and gastric juices from your stomach move to your small intestine in an uncontrolled, abnormally fast manner. This is most often related to changes in your stomach associated with surgery, such as when the opening (pylorus) between your stomach and the small intestine (duodenum) has been removed during an operation."

or

"Dumping syndrome is a problem for many people who have had gastric bypass surgery. It happens when the solid parts of a meal get “dumped” directly from the stomach into the small intestine without being digested, thereby causing symptoms. This can feel uncomfortable and may even lead to malnutrition if it isn’t treated."

The top one is the MayoClinic and the bottom one is from Rochester University. there is nothing about it being sugar related, just that your food dumps from your stomach into your intestine quickly causing pain or discomfort. I trust this and my doctor.

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 7:36 am - OH

Yes, I know there are many symptoms of dumping.

This may be what your doctor told you.  It contradicts what many reputable sources say about the cause of dumping syndrome, including the Mayo Clinic, the  University of Rochester Medical Center, Medline Plus (which is associated with the National Institutes of Health), and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 7:41 am
bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 7:47 am

the last thing I will say is that I looked at the University of Rochester Medical Center page regarding dumping. it too says to make food thicker to help with dumping syndrome. below is the link. it is the second paragraph under treatment.

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?Cont entTypeID=134&ContentID=107

Most Active
Recent Topics