Can't stay full

Misspatstarr73
on 10/21/13 3:16 pm - CA
I'm 5 months out I've lost about 80 lbs and in the last week I'm eating so much food. I will eat and then an hour or two later it's like I haven't eaten all day. My pouch is small and I can't eat more than three bites of food. My doctor told me lessen the protien shakes and go for real food so I did that but he lied the food doesn't sit with me longer. Anybody gone through this??? Got any advice.

Miss Starr

E R.
on 10/21/13 3:30 pm - Switzerland

I am 4.5 months out and I am also hungry all the time, although I can eat a lot. What helps for me is dense protein. If you can only eat 3 bites of food at a time, then you will be hungry ever few hours. I eat every 2 - 3 hours. In my plan, I have 3 meals and 3 snacks. 

RNY:  4 June 2013

PetHairMagnet
on 10/21/13 8:39 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM Pacific Time, Misspatstarr73 wrote:
I'm 5 months out I've lost about 80 lbs and in the last week I'm eating so much food. I will eat and then an hour or two later it's like I haven't eaten all day. My pouch is small and I can't eat more than three bites of food. My doctor told me lessen the protien shakes and go for real food so I did that but he lied the food doesn't sit with me longer. Anybody gone through this??? Got any advice.
I don't think your doctor lied. Are you sure you are truly hungry and not just thinking you are hungry? Are you able to eat a bar? I am full for 4 or more hours if I eat a Quest bar.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Mary Catherine
on 10/21/13 10:45 pm
Quit the protein shakes and go for dense protein and stop eating carbs. Rice, pasta, bread, crackers, sugar, fruit, flour and potatoes will make you hungry. If you want to lose the rest of the weight and keep it off, you have to stop eating those things.

Fill up on dense protein, drink lots of water and watch that hunger go away. Sneak in some bread, fruit, crackers, cookies or potatoes and watch how quickly the hunger returns.

I know that is not what you want to hear and that you have a food plan that allows all of those things. I found that as soon as I went back to eating carbs, I started to get hungry again. When I stuck to lean protein and a few low carb veggies like celery and green beans, the weight loss started up again and the hunger went away.

You have about 18 months of honeymoon after surgery where you are malabsorbing much of your food. Take advantage of that time. Ditch the carbs and you will be thankful for the rest of your life that you took full advantage of your surgery honeymoon.
Misspatstarr73
on 10/22/13 3:04 am - CA
Thanks I really can't process carbs they make me sick. I think it's the sugar but I need to choose better proteins and I eat a lot of vegan and veggie " meats" and it seems like they pass through my system too quick. So I think I'm gonna have to eat real meat and maybe peatnut butter.

Miss Starr

Dukemom
on 10/21/13 10:59 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

Be sure you are drinking your full 64 oz of fluid.  I find that drinking flavored decaf tea between meals ( I'm pre-op but practicing the no fluids at 30 minutes before or after eating) keeps me full. 

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

Tracy D.
on 10/22/13 3:28 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Great advice from everyone who has posted.   The only thing I would ask is if you are on a PPI for acid or not?  Early out I ~thought~ I was ravenous but it was actually all the acid in my stomach acting up.  I was misinterpreting it for true hunger.  Once I got on a prescription med for it that settled right down and I was satisfied for longer and longer periods of time. 

I'll be 5 months out at the end of the week and I still have one protein shake a day (it's my breakfast) but it definitely doesn't hold me until lunch.  I have to have a hard protein snack mid-morning and I've even been having a hard-boiled egg right after my morning workout.   Absolutely no sugar, bread, pasta or rice passes these lips.  Protein bars will fill me up but they give me cravings later...not worth it. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics