A Few RNY Questions

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 10/15/13 3:49 am

I've read a lot of RNY success stories and know two people that gained some weight back (and one is successfully on the losers bench again).  The weight gain had me wonder about a couple things.  Rather than ask them directly and chance hurting either one's feelings, I was hoping I could pose a question or two here for our veteran RNYers.

What happens to the pouch when someone gains considerable amount back?   Does that have a permanent effect on their pouch?   Does it get stretched out?   Are the benefits of the surgery gone?

Is the negative effect in calorie absorption permanent, or is there a honeymoon period?

Thank you for your input, appreciate it!   --Sis

poet_kelly
on 10/15/13 4:29 am - OH

Gaining weight back does not cause the pouch to stretch.  Overeating repeatedly can cause the pouch to stretch, and overeating repeatedly can also cause weight gain.  However, the pouch is never going to stretch to the size a normal stomach is.

The malabsorption of calories is temporary.  It gradually goes away over the first two years or so post op.

The malabsorption of vitamins and minerals is permanent, however.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 10/15/13 6:29 am

Thank you very much Kelly!

ebtiger24
on 10/15/13 4:31 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

You can stretch the pouch out, but not much. You have to consistently overheat to do any significant stretching, but it will never be be able to hold what your stomach currently holds. Usually people that gain weight do it by a combination of eating the wrong foods, drinking their calories, and grazing. 

Nothing about this surgery prevents you from eating a meal and then an hour or 2 later eating some more. Only you can do that. The pouch only prevents how much you can eat at one time.  

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 10/15/13 6:30 am

Thank you EbTiger24!   Appreciate the information.