Six Months Out

LittleRedAries
on 10/18/13 10:51 am - Uxbridge, MA
RNY on 04/24/13

Hope everyone is doing great!! Haven't been on in a while, but thought I'd hop on to see whats been going on. I have a question to whomever can answer it.  I'm six months out, 48 pounds down feeling amazing....problem??  Well, I'm losing my hair and I'm not a real happy camper about this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to help it stop falling out and start growing back?  Its not coming out in clumps, but its falling out enough to be thinning.  I was told that the B12 complete with Biotin is good...does anyone know if it really works?

I would appreciate any input anyone may have or advice from people who have already been through this?  Thanks a bunch!

jenharring
on 10/18/13 10:57 am - macon, GA
Biotin and b12 do help!

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 11:01 am - OH

Have you seen any studies at all showing taking biotin (if you don't have a biotin deficiency) will help with hair loss?  I haven't.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 11:00 am - OH

B12, B complex, and biotin are three different things.

B12 is one of the B vitamins, and biotin is another of the B vitamins.  A B complex typically has all or most of the B vitamins in it.

B12 works to prevent B12 deficiency, which is common after RNY because we lack stomach acid and intrinsic factor in our pouch.

A B complex helps prevent other B-vitamin deficiencies, but those are less common and most people don't really need to take one.

Biotin deficiency is really rare and if you don't have a deficiency, taking extra biotin is not going to do anything.  You'll just pee out all the extra.

If you're taking the vitamins recommended by the ASMBS and getting your protein in, the hair loss will stop soon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.