OT: recipe need help

LadyLilMax
on 10/22/13 12:34 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

I found a great recipe for SF sweetened condensed milk which I love becuz now I can make my own SF Italian  sweet cream creamer for my coffee.  Those 2 recipes work just great.

I thought wow... let me make my own dulce de leche.... SF style!  To sweeten my coffee etc.

So I mixed it all up and cooked it and it tastes okay but sorta curdled rather than being nice and silky smooth.

The ingredients for SF sweetened condensed milk that I followed are:

1.5 cups non fat powdered milk

1 can evap milk

.5 cup or to taste Splenda

Blend all together and then cook whisking constantly until just before boiling and it is so lovely and frothy and then let cool.

the recipe for the dulce de leche is to pour one can sweetened condensed milk into glass pie pan.  Cover tightly and then put in roaster pan and fill with ho****er til half way up pie plate... cook for 1 hr at 425 checking often and adding water as needed.

I substituted my sf sweetened condensed milk.  

Any ideas why it curdled?  Too high a heat maybe?  Does splenda respond differently than sugar which is in real sweetened condensed milk.  

I am obsessed with making this so I can make my own SF salted caramel flavoring for my coffee, LOL.

OR if anyone has a good easy SF salted caramel recipe ... please share... you can pm me if you want.

Obviously not much of a cook here, goodness.

Thanks all.... sorry for it being sorta rambly and long.

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/22/13 1:13 pm
I am guessing too high of heat and/or it cooked too fast. Give it another go on lower heat.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

LadyLilMax
on 10/23/13 2:37 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Rosy,

Thanks, I will try it again but do it at a lower heat.  That was sorta what I thought!

Ladytazz
on 10/23/13 9:46 am

Believe me, I'm no expert since I'm not much of a cook but my guess is that caramel is a product of cooked sugar and it is difficult to mimic without sugar.  I know because I was desperately looking for a recipe for sugar free caramel pudding and also sugar free creme brule and it just wasn't happening with any that I tried.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

LadyLilMax
on 10/23/13 2:41 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Hi Lady

Oh my I am a caramel and creme brulee devotee myself.  Just love dulce de leche but the fact that none is available sugar free that is made commercially should have been my first clue that it is hard to do without real sugar.  Hmmmmm... this may be a once in a while special treat of the real stuff.  

Dang.

Ladytazz
on 10/24/13 12:14 pm

A couple of things come to mind.  First, Jello makes an awesome Dulce De Leche sugar free pudding.  I have some in my fridge right now and it's pretty good and only about 60 or so calories.

The other thing that helps me with cravings is the DaVinci sugar free syrups.  I either use it to flavor sugar free vanilla ice cream or make a protein shake with it.  It's not perfect but it helps.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

LadyLilMax
on 10/24/13 12:58 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

LadyTazz

Thank you... raced out and got the Dulce De Leche and it is so yummy.... satisfies...not rich like the real stuff but quite good and wow..... I am definitely getting some davinci sf  dulce syrup.  I had no idea.

Have you tried the davinci B52 sf syrup???? 

Again .. thank you... my new favs!!!!