Ulcers?

Sherry T.
on 10/29/13 9:18 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
I've been experiencing some stomach pain....yesterday was the worst....admittedly I haven't been eating well...too many carbs. Last night in the middle of the night I made myself get up to throw up to see if I could get it to stop hurting....we'll it worked for the most part but I've super careful about what I ate today. Extreme gas and noises (sometimes that's plain normal tho). I'm really concerned but it may take a few days to get on track....will be glad when my insurance goes into effect. However, that's not till jan 11th. I haven't dumped I know it's not that....just scared it's something I need to see about.

New job and seems like they push food at you...I know I have to be stronger than that but I'm still working on that piece of the puzzle.

Thoughts?

poet_kelly
on 10/29/13 9:24 am - OH

Try eating lightly, just small amounts at a time, and foods you know you tolerate well.  Don't experiment for a while.  Just eat small amounts at a time and if you need to add in a couple more snacks, do that.  Avoid caffeine and spicy stuff, which can make ulcer pain worse.  And alcohol.  You can get something like Prilosec over the counter which reduces stomach acid and may help.

However, if you have a lot of pain or it seems to be getting worse or you vomit blood (usually looks like you're throwing up coffee grounds) or have black tarry stool (which means there is blood in there), you need to see a doctor before January.  And I'm not saying you should wait until January even if you don't have those things, but if you want to put it off if possible, make sure you see a doctor if those things happen.  Or go to the ER.  They'll treat you without insurance and send you a bill, and you can make arrangements to pay it off a little each month if you have to. 

If an ulcer gets really bad, you can have a lot of internal bleeding, which is bad.  And if it gets super bad, it can make a hole all the way through your pouch or stomach, which is life-threatening because then the contents of your pouch get dumped out into your abdominal cavity which can cause really serious infections.  So while some ulcers are small and just cause a little pain and then go away, others are super serious.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sherry T.
on 10/29/13 9:34 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
Thank you Kelly, I will....I did have alcohol sat night and added diet mt dew in the mix....I drink with a lot of ice but it still caffeine and carbonation. That makes me feel better. Hopefully I'll see a difference by the weekend. If not, I'll go. This new job I have to be on time and there for 90 days straight...no exceptions.....I'm sure if I was bleeding hopefully they'd make an exception but they are strict. I'm a worrier with the job, kid and living with Mom, I'm worn out... .

Thank you!!!
Sherry
PetHairMagnet
on 10/29/13 9:24 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I would cut the processed carbs for a week or so and see if you do not feel better. My first thought is not ulcers by what you've written, but poor eating choices.

I think you can resolve this fairly easily with good choices.

Hoping that is the case!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Sherry T.
on 10/29/13 9:35 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
Me too! I may not dump but this enough worry to get me straight!!
nbw
on 10/29/13 1:24 pm

I had surgery for an ulcer 3 months ago. I had no pain or discomfort until it was ready to perorate into my liver. It became life threatening very quickly. I had surgery within 12 hours after the doctor found it. Go get it checked. Don't wait and play around with it. I am 2 years out  and this second surgery which they called a revision has not been fun.

Nancy
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?