DUMPING (HYPOGLYCEMIA)

Neaucora
on 10/26/13 6:42 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

My endocronologist (spelling?) verified my RH.  I was told to stay away from bananas, grapes, raisins, oranges and other citrus. And of course sugary sweets.  Its a catch 22 and very frustrating because we need complex carbs to help stabilize the blood sugar levels. These have to be balanced with a protien too. And of course sugars raise the dropped blood sugar level but if you are not careful you will end back up where you started.  I have found that a spoonful of PeterPan honey peanut butter is one of my best fixes. It is not the healthiest but the sugar/protein ratio for "my body" works. Another thing that works for me are those cheese and peanut butter crackers. I keep a little package in my purse and one in my car and one in my cooler that I take with me wherever I go. I dont think there are complex carbs in either of those. But for me they work. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes and my blood sugar comes back up.  If I drink any sort of juice it makes me sick and really jacks up my blood sugar like up into the 200s in about 20 minutes. Just a horrible roller coaster ride. Going down, then up and waiting for it to come back down.  I am still doing research on this and because i have such a "cranky and picky" pouch my foods are very limited.

I am not trying to correct anyone, or teach anyone. Im just offering a few things that I learned and things that work for me. Maybe, possibly this could help someone else.  :)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/26/13 3:22 pm - OH

Peanut butter is a common food that helps control both traditional hypoglycemia (if you wait too long to eat and the blood sugar drops) and RH.  It has a good combination of protein, carbs, and fat (about 4, 4, and 8 grams respectively and about 100 calories per tablespoon).  The same thing applies to cheese and crackers.

As you said, juice will raise the blood sugar quickly, but --  as you have experienced -- it will just crash again if you don't eat something shortly afterward.  It sounds like you have things well under control.

i am surprised that so many surgeons still are not mentioning the possibility of RH to potential RNY patients. 

Lora 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics