Did anyone have their lean body mass/body fat tested prior?

jefferytmc
on 11/5/13 5:02 am

Each year our gym at work has a contest and they test your %body fat/lean body mass at the beginning and again 12 weeks later.

I have done this in the past and was surprised how much lean body mass I had.  I am curious as to if I were to test prior and then at the end of the 12-18 month period how it would have changed.

I know I would lose lean body mass just due to not carrying around all the weight I do daily, but I am curious as to how much.

I just wondered if anyone had done this and what their results were.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Day_dream_believer
on 11/5/13 6:06 am

I didn't do that, but it is a great motivational tool.  I had mine tested at 3 months out and it was 40 something.  At 1 year it had gone down to 30% body fat.  I haven't done it since, but I plan to have it done soon.  This time I am going to have it done with a bod pod for more accuracy. 

You may lose lean muscle mass in the beginning due to rapid weight loss, but if you you incorporate weights into your exercise routine your body fat % should fall and lean mass increase.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/5/13 6:39 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Don't men have more LMM than women and that is why they lose weight so much more easily than women, in general terms?

I can't imagine you'd lose your LMM from being lighter. I know with my husband, down over 150 lbs, that is not the case. He decreased his body fat percentage but did not lose LMM.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

KennyBruin
on 11/5/13 8:01 am - MD

They tested me for lean muscle mass before my RNY, but they couldn't find any at all!

KellyC210
on 11/5/13 10:46 am - SC

My surgeons office uses a tanita scale, which test for muscle mad, fat mass and water weight. They say that as long as you are losing fat and not muscle or water, you are doing good. I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about, but I've been getting on that since July, and I am three weeks out now. Doing pretty good holding onto the muscle and water and dropping fat, yay!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

jefferytmc
on 11/5/13 12:51 pm

Yes, men do typically have more LMM than women and yes, that does play a major role in how fast they lose.

When I have done the test at around this weight before, I was over 220 lbs of lean body mass at 6' tall.

The normal weight for a man my height is at most 180 lbs.  For me to keep that muscle mass as I lose, I could get down to 20 lbs of fat and still weight 240.  That is not likely to happen.

I know I will lose a lot of fat, but just the shear fact that I will not be carrying around as much weight will cause me to lose a bit of that lean muscle.

I can try to maintain some by weight training, but even a couple of hours a day in the weight room cannot match the 200+ lbs of extra weight that I carry on a daily basis.

Those scales are good, but the hydrostatic weighing is considered to be more accurate.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

BluIzGal
on 11/6/13 2:18 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I had a DEXA Scan done the day I started my pre-op diet, 6 months and 12 months post-op. I wanted to have another form of measurement of my success aside from photos and a measuring tape. 

http://www.bonewellness.com/dexa-scan/

I found it to be worth every penny!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics