Belly pain 5 years out

Megan B.
on 11/8/13 9:52 am - Southgate, MI

Hi,

As of Dec 1st I will be 5 years out from an OPEN RYN.  The past couple of months I have had awful belly pain.  As soon as I take a bite of something or drink something its almost instant.  It comes and goes.  I am noticing that it is worse during my cycle.  I talked to my pcp and he was shocked that I wasn't taking prilocec or something like that.  He wrote me an RX for 20mg.  Are you guys all taking this stuff too?

poet_kelly
on 11/8/13 10:04 am - OH

No, I'm not.  I think many people do not need meds like that after RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Megan B.
on 11/8/13 10:17 am - Southgate, MI

They told me that its because we don't have the acid in our bellys like others and it causes issues so we need this to help break down the foods or to protect our bellys or something or another.  I didn't really comprehend what all he was saying.  He said that everyone in the practice that is his patient is on that he couldn't believe that I wasn't on something.

poet_kelly
on 11/8/13 11:23 am - OH

Prilosec reduces the production of stomach acid.  Since RNY patients typically have less stomach acid than normal, many of us don't need meds to further reduce stomach acid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ebtiger24
on 11/8/13 10:33 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
I take Prilosc. I have acid reflux.

babs_02
on 11/8/13 11:35 am - NY

I take prevacid everyday but I also have to take a baby aspirin for my heart.

Megan B.
on 11/8/13 11:54 am - Southgate, MI

I just don't understand then.  I explained it to my pcp like I had a whole in my belly.  But like I said it isn't all the time.  I wish I were a doctor and could help myself get crap done ya know lol

Mary Catherine
on 11/8/13 9:41 pm

My surgeon prescribes Prevacid for the first three months.  Some people stay on it if he thinks they need it.  I had no issues and he told me that I did not need to take it.

Megan B.
on 8/15/18 2:13 pm - Southgate, MI

So I know this is years later but I just found out that the opening of my stomach is to big. It will need to be surgically reduced. They will put stitches in it with an endo scope and then pull it like a purse string. To bad I didn't do this 5 years ago

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views