What 100 pounds looks like -hopefully w/pics

Karens62
on 12/2/13 11:21 am, edited 12/2/13 11:25 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13

A year ago this week, I had lab work and tests at my Dr's which showed that my diabetes was worsening and I had a fatty liver. I made the decision then that something had to change or I was going to die and I wasn't even 50. As a nurse, I knew the risks and side effects of what was in front of me and I couldn't face it. I needed do do something drastic so I decided a RNY was for me.   While I've been stalled for three months, my body is changing. I haven't taken any diabetes medicine since my surgery date and have been off of all blood pressure meds for many months. The only prescription I'm on currently is thyroid meds. I had shingles a couple months ago which limited my activity for a few weeks but that's okay. I have lost almost three inches off my waist in the time I've been stalled and walked 8.5 miles Thanksgiving morning without any real difficulty. I could probably be stricter about what goes in my mouth, but I am eating healthy in reasonable quantities and I feel wonderful. A year ago, I couldn't have imagined that this change could happen and that I would be so thrilled every single day.   This is what I looked like 365 days ago when I made this momentous decision. 

And this is today (please forgive the picture quality, I am lousy at selfies)

But really? To me, THIS is what a 100 pound weight loss looks like. This was taken a few weeks ago when we were zip lining. I had wanted to go zip lining for many years but was too fat for it to be fun or safe. I couldn't have even fit in the harness to begin with. This is what I wanted when I undertook this journey - to be healthy, active and engaged with life.  

Keep your eye on the prize and if you're contemplating whether to have the surgery or not, I encourage you to not put off making the decision. I wish I had done it 5 years ago when I first thought about it.   

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/2/13 11:46 am
Hip hip hooray! Congratulations on the loss and on getting out there and living life.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

RainbowRN
on 12/2/13 11:52 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

CONGRATS!!!  Great job!!

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

martitalinda
on 12/2/13 12:32 pm

WOW!!!! you look totally fabulous... CONGRATULATIONS ... what an awesome transformation ... very inspiring.  I love your message too .. "keep your eye on the prize" I totally agree. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

meredith10
on 12/2/13 2:31 pm - salisbury, MD

if you don't mind me asking why did you go with RNY and not the sleeve?

Trying to make a decision on which one.....

thank you,

mary

Karens62
on 12/2/13 8:46 pm - NC
RNY on 02/26/13

Mary,

There were lots of reasons but the primary one was the possibility of remission of my diabetes, which did happen. Even if it temporary as some of the literature suggests,  4-6 yrs of low blood sugars is worth it for the long term impact to my body. I did not do it for the potential of dumping and I don't dump so that's good.

Lastly,  taking vitamins daily is not an issue for me. I was taking them pre surgery on top of a handful of prescription meds and to continue taking them is not a hardship. 

do your research and when you make your decision, write down the reasons why. 2am does weird stuff to your head and you start to rethink the valid reasons you already thought through. 

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

nurl
on 12/2/13 8:09 pm
RNY on 05/14/13
Congrats!!!!!!!!!! Looks like you are having a great time

Karen R.
on 12/2/13 8:15 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

This is awesome!  Congratulations!!  You look terrific.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Karens62
on 12/2/13 8:47 pm - NC
RNY on 02/26/13

Thanks for the kind comments. Life is good, what can I say.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

pathchic
on 12/2/13 9:38 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Zip lining!!! What a great idea!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views