pills after RYN

marissasmith1987
on 12/8/13 9:39 am - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

Ok so i was wondering how did you take your medications and vitamins after RNY. Did you have trouble with pills. I take a few pills like Metformin that are big pills (horse pills). Are you taking any big pills now. I cant crush extended release pills like Tramadol (pain pill). 

- Marissa RYN 1-13-14. If the past was perfect then there would be no need for tomorrow

poet_kelly
on 12/8/13 9:50 am - OH

I had no trouble with pills the same day as my surgery.

It is recommended RNY folks not use extended release meds, though, because they don't stay in our digestive system long enough to be fully absorbed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dragonlove
on 12/8/13 9:53 am
RNY on 11/20/13

This is something your surgeon would work out with you.  Regarding the pain pills after surgery, mine prescribed liquid so I could take it.  I am not sure when I'll be able to swallow pills (I'm only 18 days after surgery), but I know that Metformin would be a big no-no.  You don't have the stomach at first to digest it like it needs and it will block your exit and you'll be miserable.

Honestly, your surgeon would find out exactly what you are normally on and decide what you will still need afterwards.  If you take metformin for diabetes, then you may not need any meds for that afterwards at all.  If you take it for another reason, only your surgeon can work out a plan for you.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

aztma
on 12/8/13 11:06 am
RNY on 12/03/13

Have you had surgery?  I am 5 days post op.  I no longer take my Metformin. But I do take other pills that are smaller.  I just dont take them all at the same time. The pain meds after surgery were liquid, But havent had to use it in the last couple of days. 

Your PCP and surgeon should be able to tell you what to take.  Some prescriptions can be changed to liquid.

PetHairMagnet
on 12/8/13 11:43 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I was allowed to swallow pills, even large ones like calcium, from the get go. The issue for me was that the calcium pills made me terribly full and I had a hard time getting protein in, so I switched to chewables for a while. Now I am back on horse pills for calcium, but still do chewable multi and iron. I just like them. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Donna T.
on 12/8/13 1:27 pm

I was given all of my medication the day after my surgery. My surgeon said I could take most of my medication as long as it was the size of an Advil or smaller. But you should ask your surgeon. 

Highest weight ever 274 lbs 2/9/2013  Weight day of surgery 228 lbs 10/17/2013. Goal weight 115 lbs. 

snoopygirl1230
on 12/8/13 2:53 pm - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

I take Metformin and some other meds as well.  I have had no trouble with them post op.  It has been a week.  I sip water with it and take one at a time.

Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 344 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?