Slow loser/revision

kbinaz
on 12/10/13 7:48 am

I had revision surgery from band to RNY on November 4, 2013.  I lost 15 pounds the first week and in the next four weeks have only lost 2 more.  Last week I went back to the gym and worked out with my trainer 4X - which I had done before my surgery and plan to continue.  I thought this would spur on my weight loss.  I have been following my post-op diet exactly, am drinking a LOT of water, and am really discouraged. I know revision patients lose slower, and I also don't have a really high BMI, but it's still really surprising to me that I haven't lost more.  I am wondering if there are any other people who had revisions that are experiencing slow weight loss, too, that would commiserate with me - maybe we could encourage each other. Thanks!  

Sherrie P.
on 12/10/13 10:44 am
RNY on 02/06/13

It sounds like you have lost 17 pounds in 5 weeks.  Still an average of more than 3 pounds per week!!

I only lost 19 pounds the first month. I am a revision too.  

I would stay off the scale.... they are evil!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Karen M.
on 12/10/13 11:17 am

Hi I'm also a revision plus I do think the hospital nurse made a mistake on my weight the day of surgery 213 ... My surgery was Friday 12/6/13 . I weigh my self to day at Dr.Office 217... Wow !!

kbinaz
on 12/10/13 11:56 am

Oh, dear, Karen! That must be really frustrating!  

robynimac229
on 12/10/13 11:28 am
RNY on 08/21/13

I too am a slow loser so I understand your frustration. I had RNY on 08/19/13 and I am finally down 41 pounds.

HW 249 -  CW 158 - GW 115  Blog: http://robynsweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

kbinaz
on 12/10/13 11:54 am

Thanks everyone!  

Ashley C.
on 12/10/13 1:57 pm - Birmingham, AL

I had band removal surgery in February 2013 and RNY surgery on November 20, 2013. My surgeon told me that most people gain weight while in the hospital because of the heavy volume of fluid and nutrients being pumped in via the IV. My day of surgery weight was 321 and when I left the hospital 3 days later I was at 327. A week later I weight 316. I have had problems with dumping with just about everything that is remotely sweet (including protein shakes) so I have not been consuming enough calories or protein. However, at 3 weeks out I expected to have lost more than 10 pounds (I'm at 311 lbs). I have watched dozens of YouTube videos of gastric bypass patients during their first few months and most seem to have a slow start and then start to pick up after a month out. There are those that start losing huge amounts of weight right out of the box but it seems for the most part your loss is about right. Track what you eat and be sure you are actually taking in enough calories and protein each day. My surgeon told me that if I don't consume at least 800 calories then my body is going to stay in starvation mode, so I am working hard to get my food intake up from 300 - 400 calories a day.

Hang in there. Watching the YouTube videos of others and seeing their transformations has really helped me to keep my spirits up about what I consider slow loss but my surgeon has said is about right. Also, be sure and take your measurements because I found that even though I have only lost 10 pounds I have lost 10 inches off my waist and thighs and my clothes are really loose.  

Best of luck on your journey! Keep your chin up! Take pictures frequently and after several weeks go back and do a comparison.

Ashley in Belgium
on 12/10/13 4:17 pm, edited 12/10/13 4:18 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I agree with Ashley C.  - Take lots of photos, measurements and keep some of your old clothes so you can see the difference in your new size and shape!  I had my Band removed and revision to RNY on the 8th of August 2013.  I have found that I have patterns to my loss but that it really on showed up after the 6 weeks of healing time.  Give your self a break from the scale.  This surgery does work if you follow the rules most of the time.  It isn't at all like the Band but your body does need time to adjust and heal and get with the new program.  It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there in the end it only matters that you do!  

Slow and steady is a good thing!  You' ll do great - just give your self the time you need.  

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

kbinaz
on 12/10/13 10:59 pm

Thank you!

Most Active