Witty Comebacks...

snowball24life
on 12/25/13 9:23 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

OK, let me start off by saying I hope everyone is enjoying the day today, regardless of their religious beliefs. Now that I got that out of the way I need to vent... I was told by my Doctor, that at the rate I was going, I would have been dead in less than 10 years as a result of my obesity. I had tried many means of weight loss, with me losing some and gaining back more than I lost. I am 31 years old, with two young children. I needed to do something drastic, as I could not afford to leave my children. 

So 7 month's ago, I went and had the RNY done, and have lost 132 so far.. I know some people choose not to let other people know they had WLS for various reasons, however I am proud of myself for being proactive in my health, and don't mind telling others about my decision to prolong my life and get healthy. With that being said, I do have to say I am getting really tired of the "You took the easy way out" or "That's good you lost weight, but I did it naturally" snidely...

For those of you who have had to endure these kind of ignorant comments, I must ask, what are some witty comebacks you have used? At this point, I am trying to keep a cool head, and just tell myself that they don't understand the nature of this surgery, but I am truly getting beyond annoyed.... 

scoobyluvr1
on 12/25/13 9:33 am
RNY on 10/21/13

I wish I could think of some witty comebacks for this situation but, I just can't.   I think its just pure ignorance on their part, they don't really understand the nature of this surgery (as you stated), or the struggle that so many of us have had with our weight all of our lives.  I think the best thing to do is either educate them or ignore it.  You know the truth and that's all that really matters.

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

poet_kelly
on 12/25/13 9:35 am - OH

If someone says you took the easy way out, ask them if they usually do things the hard way.  I just tell people I prefer to do most things in the easiest way possible and say something like "That's why I heated my dinner in the microwave instead of chopping down some trees, building a fire and cooking over an open flame."

If someone says they lost weight naturally, I would just say congratulations.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

goddessgrrl
on 12/25/13 3:02 pm - VA

poet_kelly you rock my world. =]

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

SteveWebb
on 12/26/13 6:10 am - NC

Mine too, she is so smart!

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/13 10:13 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! When I told SOME of my colleagues, that happen to be physicians, they acted like I was signing up to be the test subject for the newest guillotine. I say some, because one of my dear friends, a cardiologist came to my office and hugged me. He told me that day was his very own RNY 2 year anniversary. He told me that I was making  great decision and was so happy for me. He always popped in to say hello, but now we share something special. I trust him and consider him my mentor. Apparently, he is very careful who he shares with. People can be funny. You have us. We will listen, support, and cheer you on.

Sherrie P.
on 12/25/13 10:22 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am glad the hard way worked for you. It never worked for me.  Hence the WLS.  Duh.  You can't have WLS without failing at the other... 

I don't think we should look at "the easy way" as being so very negative. Just like previously posted... there are lots of things that we do that are easier.  Screw them if they think there is only one "right" way to lose weight and it happens to be the hardest way possible.

THIS IS THE EASIEST TIME I HAVE EVER HAD LOSING WEIGHT!!!!  I've never lost this much weight before. Why? Because I FAIL at the hard way.

There you go. I said it.  Losing my 120 was a hell of a lot easier with this surgery than dieting and exercise alone. Yay me, it was easier ... sounds like I am SMARTER!! 

Now, I am a newbie -- and losing is easier than maintaining -- so the vets have said, so I am planning to keep up the dietary changes and exercise and try my best to maintain.  

Such an irritating topic... wish these people would mind their own business and just let us be thinner.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

goddessgrrl
on 12/25/13 3:04 pm - VA

You said it, Sherrie P. Get some business cards printed up that say MYOB. I might just do that!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

SkinnyScientist
on 12/25/13 10:25 am

OUch.  These people are very very very...low people.

I am THANKFUL for people like you.  Specifically, people that are honest about their weightloss journey and advertise the success of sugery COMBINED with their hard work.

For people such as myself, who are stuck in this endless yo-yo diet loop and ending up worse with every round...people such as myself who wonder if there is ANY way out after spending no less than 6K  in 12 years to get NO results. I love bumping into people like you.

When the phenteramine stopped working for me/I had to go off, I didnt know what I was going to do. Yet it as a girl like you at my gym, my guy cousin, my pastors wife and my lil sis's best friend (all that had RNY), who were willing to talk honestly to me about the procedure, its positive points and its drawbacks.  I was lost, scared, depressed, not knowing what to do (since I had tried just about every diet ...twice....since my teens).

I am THANKFUL for people like you.

So I dont have witty comebacks (not my strong point) but dont you ever, ever let those small people bring you down. You are beacons of hope for people like me.  And someday, I hope  to be a beacon too.

I (and everyone else on this board) KNOW that YOU had to work hard to lose the weight. YOU choose not to eat junk food. YOU choose to work out. YOU choose to take your vitamins, calculate you protein, and drink your water. YOU choose to eat your food correctly, not over eat, or graze all day to lose weight.

woul

If these small people only knew the amount of work you put in...they certainly would be embarrassed by their behaviors or comments.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

snowball24life
on 12/25/13 10:43 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

I want to Thank Each and Everyone of you for your responses. All of them were insightful, and I will use them going forward! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics