Things that interfere with iron absorption

chulbert
on 1/19/14 11:56 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

While a specific nutrient may inhibit absorption of other nutrients that doesn't make either one "bad" or mean either one should be avoided.  For example, phytates do partially inhibit the absorption of minerals like iron and zinc but they also have a wide rage of health-promoting properties, including anti-cancer activity, so you should probably eat them.

It doesn't even necessarily mean you can't eat them together with iron-rich foods.  Interactions between nutrients are complex and whole foods (and whole meals) are package deals that contain myriad combinations.  Phytates inhibit iron absorption while the whole allium family of vegetables (onions, garlic, etc.) have the opposite effect.  So you could add a thin slice of onion to your meal or just eat a little bit more broccoli to compensate if you have room.  It's a win-win.

This isn't really meant as a rebuttal of Kelly's excellent information.  It's just a reminder that things are complicated, there's lots of practical truth in the grey area between the extremes, and there's more than one way to skin a cat.  :)

busy_blond
on 1/20/14 12:13 am - Tyler, TX

Wow, thanks Kelly. this is really helpful since I just got a call from the DR office that my iron was low. Does anyone have a suggestion of food to actually take your iron with? pretty much everything i eat seems to be on the list of things that block the3 absorption of iron. LOL I would normally eat eggs, yogurt, or ezekial bread. 

Leann

chulbert
on 1/20/14 12:33 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

This is kind of what I was alluding to in my post above.  I think the first and easiest remedy is to simply increase your iron intake.  If for some reason you hit the ceiling on that - side effects of supplements, etc - then possibly explore micro-managing your food choices and combinations.