? RE: iron

busy_blond
on 1/19/14 11:46 pm - Tyler, TX

I'm 3 years post RNY. I had my labs drawn last week and my ferritin level came back low. the Dr office told me to double the amount of iron I'm currently taking. Is there a  limit on how much iron we can absorb at one time? Can I just add a pill to my current iron dose, or do I need to add it at a different time ? I already take pills 4 times a day, It is gonna suck if I have to take them 5. LOL however I will do whatever is necessary

Leann

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 1:43 am - OH

You can absorb a huge amount at a time.  How low was your ferritin?  How much iron have you been taking?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

busy_blond
on 1/20/14 3:27 am - Tyler, TX

my ferritin level was 22. I've been taking 45 mg Feosol Carbonyl iron daily. Just wasn't sure if it was okay to take 90 mg at one sitting or if I should space the doses out and take the other tablet at another time.

Leann

65rosesmom
on 1/20/14 3:49 am

I take 4 of those feosol carbonyl at once (180 mg).  It has helped my ferritin rise pretty well, so I'd assume I'm fine with absorbing it.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 4:10 am - OH

I take 300 mg carbonyl all at once.  Michelle from vitalady told me I could absorb that all at once.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

busy_blond
on 1/20/14 3:53 am - Tyler, TX

sorry, just had one more thought on the subject. I currently take 500 mg of vitamin C with my iron. Will that be sufficient if I double the iron? or should I double the vitamin C as well. Not sure what the proper ratio is.

Leann

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 4:10 am - OH

It's 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron.

busy_blond
on 1/20/14 9:15 am - Tyler, TX

thanks for all your replies.

Leann

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?