Weight Gain

Afroditi
on 1/25/14 11:50 am

Hi. Anyone have a 5 lb. weight gain 13 months after surgery? My nutritionist is telling me to get rid of soft foods and liquids and go for high protein. I think that should help but it has not been easy.

Bibo
on 1/25/14 1:26 pm

I am not that far out yet, but I gained about 3 or four pounds a couple of times in the last month or two. I upped my protein and decreased my calories and increased my veggies. I don't eat starchy food or bread, so I think i was eating too much fresh fruit. I did find out that once I did that I lost really fast. Good luck.

Mary Catherine
on 1/25/14 6:04 pm

Why is it hard to eat solid food if you are 13 months out from surgery?  Solid foods will fill you quicker and stay with you longer.

You don't need to be drinking extra calories, you need to be eating less calories.  At 13 months you still have malabsorption and it takes a lot of extra calories to gain five pounds.

You need to track calories and you need to get out of denial an onto the scale on a daily basis.  Five quickly turns to ten and ten to twenty if not addressed.

Afroditi
on 2/16/14 7:21 am

In answer to your question, I have had a lot of difficulty stomaching solid foods until the past three weeks. During these past three weeks, I was able to get off liquid and soft foods and the weight came off.

That proved to be the answer for me. 

I do feel that when I throw a question out there, I would like to be supported as I would support someone else. I felt your response was critical.

birdiegirl
on 1/25/14 8:00 pm

Piggybacking on what White Dove said.....also keep in mind that it will get much more difficult the further out you are....when malabsorption and interest wanes,......meat,chicken,fish etc etc will fill your pouch and should keep you full for several hours

Get a hold on this now.....slider foods - your liquids and soft foods ( yogurt for example)......will slide out of your pouch quickly.....

RE easy...yeah I know.....it isn't easy and  it wont get better over time.....what does help is getting into the habit so its second nature to choose dense protein first when eating......the consequences of not figuring this out are likely weight gain and disappointment

Good luck

Afroditi
on 2/16/14 7:15 am

Thank you for your reply. I have lost the 5 pounds by eliminating liquids and soft foods. I have until very recently been unable to stomach solid foods.

SteveWebb
on 1/25/14 10:16 pm - NC

Good thing for me is I'm a caveman meat eating machine.  I also love fresh vegetables, so those are the things I plan to concentrate on when I get back to a regular diet.  Hope you get back on track and lose the five pounds.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

Afroditi
on 2/16/14 7:16 am

Thank you so much for your message. I an doing better.

Neaucora
on 1/26/14 5:44 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I always gain about 7 to 8 lbs the week I start my monthly. I dont know if this applies  to you, but it could be that. I also put on water weight when I eat too much salt. I am a salt fiend. I love salt.  So I really have to watch that. 

Afroditi
on 2/16/14 7:17 am

Thanks for that!

Most Active
Recent Topics