3-4 days week gym & stall very unhappy

Catie780
on 2/9/14 3:44 am

I know stalls happen but I needed some positive reinforcement for joining the gym and really going 3-4 times a week since New Year's Day. The scale moved the first week 3 lbs then nada.   I do cardio, weights, and more cardio. 

Mentally I need to see the scale move !!!  It's hard to keep my enthusiasm up. I know I am still staying on my plan even if the scale never moves because I  WON'T go back to old eating habits - but the scale has to help me with all the mental work I need. 

help!! I still feel so very new to all if this even though I am not so new. 2/14 will be 4 months out for me. ~~~~~I don't know how to change my signature. 

Any exercise advice out there. Any one. I'm drowning in feeling sorry for myself. Is it a stall or the end. 

tdbull
on 2/9/14 3:58 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I'm struggling with the same thing, and I was thinking about how I would handle maintenance also, with the expectation that the scale can't be my only form of validation. Think about measuring yourself - I measure every month so if the scale doesn't move, maybe I can see progress with the tape measure. Also, just recognize how you feel in your clothes, change up your makeup and hair - something to show change. Lastly, I write in a gratitude journal almost daily, and every Sunday I set weekly goals. These goals help me focus on 'working' toward something besides the number on the scale. My goals can be as big as setting fitness goals, to something smaller but just as rewarding - like making sure I compliment and show my husband how much I appreciate him.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Catie780
on 2/10/14 12:31 am
On February 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM Pacific Time, tdbull wrote:
I'm struggling with the same thing, and I was thinking about how I would handle maintenance also, with the expectation that the scale can't be my only form of validation. Think about measuring yourself - I measure every month so if the scale doesn't move, maybe I can see progress with the tape measure. Also, just recognize how you feel in your clothes, change up your makeup and hair - something to show change. Lastly, I write in a gratitude journal almost daily, and every Sunday I set weekly goals. These goals help me focus on 'working' toward something besides the number on the scale. My goals can be as big as setting fitness goals, to something smaller but just as rewarding - like making sure I compliment and show my husband how much I appreciate him.

Wow.  

I really needed your post this am. Thx, so much. 

JLS_NJ
on 2/9/14 4:24 am
RNY on 10/15/13

I am only 4 months out but those stalls are discouraging!  My DH an I have decided they are BAC's - Body Adjustment Cycles!  I feel my body changing but the scale won't budge!  no matter what I try.  So I measure once a month and I'm convinced my body is readjusting during the BAC's.   My longes BAC lasted 21 days.  UGH  I felt like such a failure, to think in just 2 1/2 months I managed to even mess up the surgery.  You can see how that went.  For now I'm just embrassing them as just a part of the ride! 

B A C - Body Adjustment Cycle!  It works for me. 

I do need more motivation for the gym!  It would help considerably, currently I only walk! 

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

Catie780
on 2/10/14 12:35 am
On February 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM Pacific Time, JLS_NJ wrote:

I am only 4 months out but those stalls are discouraging!  My DH an I have decided they are BAC's - Body Adjustment Cycles!  I feel my body changing but the scale won't budge!  no matter what I try.  So I measure once a month and I'm convinced my body is readjusting during the BAC's.   My longes BAC lasted 21 days.  UGH  I felt like such a failure, to think in just 2 1/2 months I managed to even mess up the surgery.  You can see how that went.  For now I'm just embrassing them as just a part of the ride! 

B A C - Body Adjustment Cycle!  It works for me. 

I do need more motivation for the gym!  It would help considerably, currently I only walk! 

B A C.      B A C.  B A C.   B A C.   Thets cool. I will chant that and try to measure more. 

Thanks,  I have been so down. That I couldn't even come on this site because it was scary. But I'm so glad I posted and got such helpful responses. Snif sniff snifffff 

danslillady
on 2/9/14 5:38 am

My advice: find another goal, other than scale victory, to focus on while you exercise. I'm a competitive person and I love to compete with myself so I go to the gym everyday with a specific goal and I try to reach or exceed it! I'm working on a whole new person and that REALLY helps me; the goal setting!

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

Catie780
on 2/10/14 12:39 am
On February 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, danslillady wrote:

My advice: find another goal, other than scale victory, to focus on while you exercise. I'm a competitive person and I love to compete with myself so I go to the gym everyday with a specific goal and I try to reach or exceed it! I'm working on a whole new person and that REALLY helps me; the goal setting!

Ok so I will think of other than scale goals. 

Tricep work (to combat that flappy skin )every other day 

take measurements mmonthly 

remember those size 16 jeans I bought and the size 26 s that were donated. Maybe I should have kept one !?!!

kbinaz
on 2/9/14 11:26 am

I feel your pain! (literally!) I work out for an hour 4X a week with a personal trainer and I'm stalled too.  I had surgery November 4th.  It really is frustrating, I'm a slow loser anyway (revision from Lapband) and I thought being really regular with working out I would speed things up.  Nope.  I am doing a lot of mental adjustment - telling myself not to get discouraged - but I have my moments!  I'm sorry I don't have any magic for you - just know that you aren't the only one!  I will be watching this thread and hoping someone has some advice!

Catie780
on 2/10/14 12:41 am
On February 9, 2014 at 7:26 PM Pacific Time, kbinaz wrote:

I feel your pain! (literally!) I work out for an hour 4X a week with a personal trainer and I'm stalled too.  I had surgery November 4th.  It really is frustrating, I'm a slow loser anyway (revision from Lapband) and I thought being really regular with working out I would speed things up.  Nope.  I am doing a lot of mental adjustment - telling myself not to get discouraged - but I have my moments!  I'm sorry I don't have any magic for you - just know that you aren't the only one!  I will be watching this thread and hoping someone has some advice!

Watch me say thx for responding.   It is helpful to know I'm not the only one.  I appreciate your support. I am not there mentally yet. But think I need to come here more often  it is helpful to have you all out there in cyberland. 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/9/14 11:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I was anxious about this while losing also, and hit the weight I wanted to maintain six months ago. Believe it or not, the scale is still a great motivator. Even though it stopped going down, it has been a great feeling to see it stay where I wanted it from one month to the next. Maybe the real key is just meeting whatever expectations you might have.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views