Anyone else feel like this??

new_me180
on 2/14/14 4:27 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I've been recently enjoying my new found energy and weight loss but, I've noticed recently, I feel extremely guilty after I eat. I'm not eating anything I'm not supposed to eat or junk food but almost after every meal now, I feel guilty for eating it and it always seems the portions are TOO much. I even  had a dream where I was eating chips and dip and I woke up in a panic mode and felt bad all day(silly, I know). I measure my food according to my booklet, ie for dinner it's 1.5oz of lean protein, 80g veg and my plan calls for 60-120g of grains(which I usually never eat, sometimes maybe 1tsp but not even the 60g). I've noticed this trend now for a few weeks and I know that although I'm eating healthy and small, I just can't help thinking its too much. I think I need to nip this in the bud before it gets out of control and I end up at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Same with exercise. If I miss one day, extreme guilt comes over me. I haven't hit the gym in two days because of my schedule and it 'killing' me. Getting ready to go now as I type. I never used to care before now, that's all I think about. I'm becoming obsessive which I never used to obsess over anything before and I don't like it. Maybe the fear of failure and regain is starting to hit me but it's starting to scare me and I fear that I will stop eating or eat less than is healthy. I will put a call to my clinic to see if I can talk to someone about it. Thanks for listening.

poet_kelly
on 2/14/14 4:33 am - OH

I don't feel like that but I've heard other people talk about it.  So I don't think it's too unusual. 

I think talking to someone about it is a good idea.  It can be easy for some of us, I think, to swing from one extreme to another.  And some people, myself included, tend to have what is sometimes referred to as "black and white thinking."  Like it's all or nothing.  Either I have to eat the whole cake or I can't have a single bite.  Either I can't go to the gym at all or I have to exercise for two hours.  Stuff like that.  And in most cases, neither extreme is healthy.  And obsessing about things and feeling guilty when you haven't done anything wrong isn't healthy, either.  You won't enjoy life that way.

I think in addition to talking to a counselor maybe, it might be helpful to talk with your dietician and just get some affirmation that you're eating what  you're supposed to be eating and that you're not eating too much.  Sometimes a little reassurance can help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

new_me180
on 2/14/14 4:56 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Kelly. It's weird to feel like this and is a new sensation. I spoke to the dietician a few weeks ago and she reassured me I was on the right track and actually told me I was under eating. I'm supposed to eat 6x a day, I eat 5 and half of time, I don't even finish my plate. I hope to get over this soon though.

Angela B.
on 2/14/14 10:06 am

Hey there. I too have been having the same thoughts of guilt after meals and I really beat myself up if I go a day without working out. I'm glad you are looking into counseling... I'm doing the same. It's a little scary for me because I've never had counseling but I'm hoping to find a professional who has a lot of experience with eating disorders. I'm surprised counseling isn't required after surgery for most. It's quite a head trip.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know you are in no way alone in your thoughts! I wish you well in your journey 

HW: 273 SW: 255 CW: 134.4 GW: 120       RNY 11/4/2013 

new_me180
on 2/14/14 10:37 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Angela. Was staring to feel a little freaked out. I hope it all end well for both of us. Wish you well in your journey as well.

MyLady Heidi
on 2/14/14 4:04 pm

I go uber overboard about dieting every once in awhile and I just ride the wave, I know eventually I will get over it, typically its seasonal.  Usually in spring it starts by winter its completely over.  I hate winter, I always feel bulky with all these clothes, spring is liberating.