6 yrs post-opt issues

internetnut
on 2/17/14 11:55 am - elmira, NY

Hi everyone! I'm 6 yrs post-opt not many problems really till recently. I was encouraged to share what's going on with me on this board. I'm not sure if the issues are GBP related or Gastroparesis related. For several months now I've been having no desire to eat anything in the morning. I enjoy my cup of coffee and by 11am I just start to get hungry. So I eat something this leaves me skipping meals. Yes I know a big no, no. So I bought some Unjury which I enjoyed right after surgery and now it just tastes like crap. Late last night I craved some oatmeal so I made a packet of apple cinnamon oatmeal I usually have no issue eating this. Not last night I ended up vomiting and not by making myself vomit. I've been having some other issues like increased heart burn (I'm on Prilosec), and bowel issues they tend to vary from I need to hurry to the potty or I'm happy if I can even go after 2-3 days. I'm wondering which is the issue Gastric Bypass or Gastroparesis? Anyone have these issues?

PetHairMagnet
on 2/17/14 9:20 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM Pacific Time, internetnut wrote:

Hi everyone! I'm 6 yrs post-opt not many problems really till recently. I was encouraged to share what's going on with me on this board. I'm not sure if the issues are GBP related or Gastroparesis related. For several months now I've been having no desire to eat anything in the morning. I enjoy my cup of coffee and by 11am I just start to get hungry. So I eat something this leaves me skipping meals. Yes I know a big no, no. So I bought some Unjury which I enjoyed right after surgery and now it just tastes like crap. Late last night I craved some oatmeal so I made a packet of apple cinnamon oatmeal I usually have no issue eating this. Not last night I ended up vomiting and not by making myself vomit. I've been having some other issues like increased heart burn (I'm on Prilosec), and bowel issues they tend to vary from I need to hurry to the potty or I'm happy if I can even go after 2-3 days. I'm wondering which is the issue Gastric Bypass or Gastroparesis? Anyone have these issues?

No advice, but hope you find an answer and I wish you good health!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

LittleMiss2013
on 2/18/14 1:55 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

what about an ulcer? Vomiting, loss of appetite, heart burn....sounds like it could fit. Maybe consider having an endoscopy done? Hope you feel better soon

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

siberiancat
on 2/18/14 5:22 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Im 5 yrs post RNY in March.  I also have gastroparesis- but I had it before my RNY and still have it.  I'm not hungry in the morning, either, but I drink a hot protein drink every morning about 6:30 or 7am.  That holds me until noon.  I have nausea after every meal (for about 1 1/2 Hours).  If I'm still nauseated at lunch I have foods that don't irritate my pouch or I drink a premixed protein - usually Pro Joe.  I try to eat raw veggies and fruit every day and aim for 80-100 grams protein per day.  I do have potty issues - usually the constipated kind.  I aim for 100 oz liquid (water or green tea) daily.

There are times I "delay" my meal until I feel like eating.  I probably use protein powder more than most post op this far out, but I just can't eat the volume of "whole" food without sometimes resorting to the protein powder.  My favorite brand is Bluebonnet Whey Isolate (it has stevia and no Splenda) and I use Click in my breakfast hot protein drink.  I also put protein powder in greek yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal.  You have to find a protein powder that you can tolerate.  I have had bowel obstruction and leaky gut and just don't do well with Splenda.

I have times when I vomit and times when I just salivate excessively and gag & gag but without vomiting.  When that happens I stop, wait an hour or so and have some liquid protein because my pouch will not accept "whole" food the rest of the day.

I would call your bariatric and/or your GI doctor.  You may need to be scoped to make sure all is well.  There are also some meds & remedies that can help with digestion and relaxing the bowel.  A professional would need to advise you there.

I keep a food diary to make sure I'm getting the required protein, carbs, calories and ounces of fluid every day.  Hopefully, you are getting your labs done and adjusting your supplements accordingly.

Sorry you are having issues.  I've learned to live with them and feel blessed because I'm at goal weight and able to be active.  Best Wishes,  Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Sommer Allen
on 5/14/16 5:57 am - Watertown, NY

So I am 6 yrs post op and i was just now diagnosed with gastroparesis and your symptoms are definitely gastroparesis sounding. They want me to eat 6 small mushy meals a day. Ironically I guess they do rny for gastroparesis but I had mine start about two yrs ago. And I can't handle mush foods either. But definitely talk with your Gastro. I also now have autoimmune thyroid and pbc liver autoimmune as well so I'm a mess. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views