Looking for support...almost 6 months out

Love2travel4
on 2/23/14 10:10 am

It has been months since I have posted here, got a lot of support preop and the first few weeks after.  Honestly, I stopped coming here, because many of the posts were down right mean to people.  I, like many, need support, not a mental bashing.  Anyway..here goes....

Starting weight: 285, surgery weight 252, today's weight 191.  I can almost taste that 100lbs..lol!  I was PERFECT pre op and all the way through Phase 5 in mid October.  I would say right around XMAS is when some of the issues crept in again...cravings, not always eating what I should.  I am finding Thai to be even harder than all the pre op.  At my 3 month appt, my NUT wanted me to incorporate more fruits and veggies.  I do not dump, nothing so far seems to bother me, except if I eat too much (even like veggies, chicken etc).  I do measure everything, journal etc.  I just find myself eating my "old foods" cereal, toast, etc.  not huge amounts, but enough to make me nervous.  The scale hasn't budged much in 6 weeks.  Could be a stall? Could be my food intake, I will own it.  PS..my NUT doesn't want me using protein shakes, wants me to get protein from food,

Here re is the next piece....I always worked out before the surgery, and now I am a workout machine.  5 days a week: bootcamp, spinning, sometimes 2 hours a day.  I am doing burpees, mountain climbers, holding planks etc.  I KNOW I am getting stronger and my body is changing.  The scale might mot move, but my clothes are.  I started in a size 20/22 pants.  I am now wearing 10/12.  Today I bought a size 8 for shorts (I don't care how big these 8s were...my first single digit size ever).  I was wearing a 26/28 shirt, now wearing XL/1x.  I know I healthier than I have ever been and so much stronger.  My emotional strength is wavering, that's where I need the help.  I do go to the support groups, I have even been asked to speak at an info session...maybe it we because of my honesty.  

Anyway...thanks for the vent, just wanted to put it out there and see who is in my shoes?  I am looking forward to appt on Tuesday!

poet_kelly
on 2/23/14 10:19 am - OH

I'm pretty sure announcing that people here are mean isn't really the best way to ask for support.

I'll offer support anyway, though.  Stalls are common at six months out, but yes, your food choices could certainly be a factor.  Are you having trouble getting enough protein from food?  If you're eating a lot of toast and cereal, that might be why.  Those foods are usually pretty low in protein but pretty high in calories.  If you eat less toast and cereal and more foods high in protein instead, like meat, seafood, beans, nuts and lowfat dairy products, you'll probably find it a lot easier to meet your protein goal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Love2travel4
on 2/23/14 10:29 am

Thank you, I appreciate your response and positive support. As I stated above, I did receive a lot of help and support early out. But, in my opinion, many posters were  not as supportive to others as I been lucky enough at the beginning.  I believe that we beat ourselves up enough emotionally and mentally and I am a firm believer in strength based support.

I agree that I need to eat more protein dense foods, and went groceryshopping today   and stocked the fridge!  I guess I struggle due to no set guidelines from my NUT..calories, carbs etc. early out, it was very structured. I knew exactly what I was supposed to do and how to hit my target.  Now it is a bit tougher.  At my 3 month appt. I asked for guidelines but was told "shoot for 700-800 calories a day. Up to 1100 on high intense work out days". I track with my fitness pal, and still seem to eat a lot of carbs, even though they are from fruit/veggies.  I do not know how people manage to stay under 40, let alone 20!  I have been enjoying reading the daily menus for ideas.

thank you again 

poet_kelly
on 2/23/14 10:31 am - OH

I've never counted carbs.  I don't worry about the carbs in things like beans, fruits and veggies.  We need some carbs in our diet, we need some fiber, and I realize staying very low carb works for some people, but I don't eat meat and I rely on beans for a lot of my protein, and those are fairly high in carbs.  Complex carbs.  And fiber.  Which is good for us.

I can tell you that the more starchy stuff like bread and cereal I eat, the more I crave.  What works for me is simply keeping that stuff out of my house and keeping my kitchen stocked with better options.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/23/14 10:27 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM Pacific Time, Love2travel4 wrote:

It has been months since I have posted here, got a lot of support preop and the first few weeks after.  Honestly, I stopped coming here, because many of the posts were down right mean to people.  I, like many, need support, not a mental bashing.  Anyway..here goes....

Starting weight: 285, surgery weight 252, today's weight 191.  I can almost taste that 100lbs..lol!  I was PERFECT pre op and all the way through Phase 5 in mid October.  I would say right around XMAS is when some of the issues crept in again...cravings, not always eating what I should.  I am finding Thai to be even harder than all the pre op.  At my 3 month appt, my NUT wanted me to incorporate more fruits and veggies.  I do not dump, nothing so far seems to bother me, except if I eat too much (even like veggies, chicken etc).  I do measure everything, journal etc.  I just find myself eating my "old foods" cereal, toast, etc.  not huge amounts, but enough to make me nervous.  The scale hasn't budged much in 6 weeks.  Could be a stall? Could be my food intake, I will own it.  PS..my NUT doesn't want me using protein shakes, wants me to get protein from food,

Here re is the next piece....I always worked out before the surgery, and now I am a workout machine.  5 days a week: bootcamp, spinning, sometimes 2 hours a day.  I am doing burpees, mountain climbers, holding planks etc.  I KNOW I am getting stronger and my body is changing.  The scale might mot move, but my clothes are.  I started in a size 20/22 pants.  I am now wearing 10/12.  Today I bought a size 8 for shorts (I don't care how big these 8s were...my first single digit size ever).  I was wearing a 26/28 shirt, now wearing XL/1x.  I know I healthier than I have ever been and so much stronger.  My emotional strength is wavering, that's where I need the help.  I do go to the support groups, I have even been asked to speak at an info session...maybe it we because of my honesty.  

Anyway...thanks for the vent, just wanted to put it out there and see who is in my shoes?  I am looking forward to appt on Tuesday!

Are you attending a support group of any type--virtual or in person? 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Love2travel4
on 2/23/14 10:31 am

Yes, I attend monthly support groups and also have been attending monthly info sessions for pre ops and have been asked to speak. I spoke at my first one 2 weeks ago. It is also nice to chat with the other post ops and get device from them, especially the vets!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/24/14 2:11 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM Pacific Time, Love2travel4 wrote:

Yes, I attend monthly support groups and also have been attending monthly info sessions for pre ops and have been asked to speak. I spoke at my first one 2 weeks ago. It is also nice to chat with the other post ops and get device from them, especially the vets!

YES! I love when old timers come to my local support group and my virtual support group is made up of people at least 2 years, and some over 6 years out, which is UBER helpful!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Ladytazz
on 2/23/14 11:13 am

I'll give it to you straight.  I hope you don't think I am being mean, because I am speaking from experience.  In 2002 I had WLS.  I lost all my weight but after about 2 years I started regaining.  It was because I thought I could keep eating the way I used to, only smaller amounts.  It didn't work out for me and after 8 years I had regained almost all the weight back.

I had a revision, not because of the weight gain but because I was having other problems but since I was going to get a second change I decided to take a hard look at why I had failed so  miserably with my first WLS.  I certainly didn't want to fail a second WLS.  I knew I was addicted to refined carbs.  I have a very long history of trying to control my intake and I always failed.  I realized that I had to completely avoid the refined carbs, sugar and things with gluten.  Those were my triggers and if I was honest with myself I knew I couldn't control them.  I didn't want to.  I wanted to eat them freely and there is no WLS that doesn't absorb simple carbs 100%.

Anyway, I am not suggesting you give up refined carbs forever but maybe you could at least avoid them while you are losing your excess weight.  Give yourself the best opportunity to utilize your maximum weight loss window. Once you reach your goal and start to figure out maintenance you can see what part, if any, they may play in your eating, but for this period try getting in at least 100 oz of fluids and 100 grams of protein a day.  I don't give a fig what your NUT says.  All of  the successful post ops I know get in a lot of protein and if they can't do it with food then a shake isn't going to kill them.  I still have at least 2 protein drinks a day and maybe a protein bar.  I am almost 4 years out and this is what works for me and if it works don't fix it.  

Any way, give it a try, maybe for at least 30 days and see if things don't get easier for you. I've found that it is easier for me to avoid those things then it is to control them.

Good luck to you and hang in there.  You will do great.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ocalasam
on 2/23/14 11:38 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I agree with all previous posters.  I also agree that people can "seem" mean spirited on here, but I also think there are a lot of people on here who "tell it like it is," and it can be hard to hear.  It's also virtual, and not in person, so that takes a lot away from the intended message.  I've gotten a lot of great info on here, more valuable than my surgeon's office.  I also enjoy the occasional drama, not gonna lie. 

I have not seen a nutritionist since I was in the hospital right after having my surgery.  I could have contacted her if I needed to, but have only met with a nurse (twice) in the year since my surgery.  My PCP is going to order my labs in the future.  I have drank a Chocolate Premier protein shake everyday since surgery 14 months ago - 30 grams of protein and 160 calories.  It would be very hard to find a food to replace that for me.  In the future, if I start to gain because I can eat a lot more protein on my own, I will drop the shakes, but I have been very successful with them so far.  I wouldn't be able to get my protein in without them.  I don't generally do bars anymore, unless I'm traveling and need them because I don't have as many good options.

Love2travel4
on 2/24/14 6:45 am

Thank you all very much.  I do think that going back to an earlier phase for a set time, like you said..30 days or so will help "reset" my mind.  Back to protein shakes, grilled chicken and veggies!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views