Pre-Op Anxiety

Amber Anderson
on 2/25/14 9:51 am - Loveland, CO

Well not really Pre-Op

more Pre-Pre-Op.

My surgery isn't scheduled but I start my 1st of 6 required monthly classes this Thursday for my RNY.

I am obsessing over this surgery-

reading, writing, researching, talking, buying supplies, tasting protien shakes...

I can't control myself!

I am so anxious about it and want it so bad!

Check out my blog- Beauty and the Bypass (I am sharing my weight loss journey for all to see)

318 pounds "Even miracles take a little time"- Cinderella

christinamudd
on 2/25/14 10:09 am

Well that's great to be obsessed! Its your body ! I'm so lucky I didn't have to go through those hurdles! It would have driven me crazy!  I am just waiting for my insurance to formally authorize the surgery since I did all of my pre-auth "homework".  it took me less than 2 weeks!  So you decided on a bypass?  Me too.  At first I was going to do the sleeve, but then I decided to "go big or go home".  I know several people who have had the bypass and have all had very good results!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/25/14 11:16 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Obsessed and anxious are two different things to me. 

I was never anxious about any part of it. And I would not call me obsessed...but I AM very dedicated and disciplined.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

kbinaz
on 2/25/14 11:36 am

I had a lot of anxiety before my surgery.  I had trouble sleeping and second guessed my decision constantly.  Also like you, I read everything I could get my hands on and talked to anyone I knew had RNY to get their input.  I was really worried, but never once considered not going through with it.  After my pre-op appointments I felt I had a handle on things because I had the information I needed.  I am glad I didn't have to be anxious for six months, though! Anyway, I know how you feel - it's normal to be anxious before major surgery. Concentrate on the end result and preparing to do exactly what your doctor asks you to do and you'll soon be succeeding!  

miranda537
on 2/25/14 12:38 pm
RNY on 09/23/13

Sounds like you are well on your way.  Its a good thing if you are reading, writing, researching, talking, etc.  That part of it should never stop since new discoveries about food and nutrition and how it affects us seems to change daily.  I'm 5 months post op and I'm doing more research now then I did in the beginning.  I watch youtube videos alot, which can be very helpful, research journals and websites, go to support group (the best), read books, and still can't get enough.  I was scared to have the surgery (RNY) but knew it was the best option for me and I came through with flying colors and the weight just keeps dropping off.  Of course you have to be disciplined and exercise and follow what you learn in class, from your doctor, surgeon and nutritionist.  Just keep up the excitement, your surgery date will be here before you know it!  Best wishes to you!