Help

Hotelier
on 3/13/14 5:35 am

I had RNY on November 7th 2012 and I was 279 pounds. After 16 months I have lost only 83 pounds. I have ate diligently since day one and I am always ensuring I eat proper. My Dr says I am probably at the limit for losing weight for my body. I had a hernia operation in November and have not been able to exercise. Just trying to get around to it now. Any suggestions on how my day would look for food. I don't think I eat enough in which was my problem in the beginning. I mean well and have tried but I don't know what to do next. I drink protein drinks etc and try to get my veggies in. So down about it all. I went from a 22 to a 16 and I thought I would be down at least 100 plus pounds now. Any ideas on what your day of menu looks like??? Help!!!!

Lori

jefferytmc
on 3/13/14 5:52 am

What does your day consist of?

Protein first.

And drinks are ok, but they never keep me "full", you need to get solid protein mainly.  And as far out as you are, that should be doable.

How much protein are you consuming?

Besides protein, what veggies, then what fruit, then any carbs or other gotchas?

I saw the dietitian today and she said be careful with PB, it is high in protein, but also high in calories.

Are you getting in at least 64oz of water a day?

You may have to exercise to lose the rest.  Calorie cutting is the main thing, but if you have already cut it very low, you might have to do more exercise.

Weights are important in building/keeping muscle.

Are you tracking your intake via myfitnesspal or a similar app?  Are you weighing/measuring everything?  What is your regular caloric intake?

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

poet_kelly
on 3/13/14 5:57 am - OH

Just read some of the threads on what are you eating today to see what other people's diets consist of.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/13/14 6:35 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Why would you think you aren't eating enough? If you aren't losing, it is because you are eating too much.

Do you track your daily eating? I had surgery a couple of months before you did, and every single day I weigh and track everything I eat before it goes in my mouth. I know exactly how many calories and protein I consume each day, so I know what the scale is going to do. I would bet that you are eating more than you think you are.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/14 7:01 am - Netherlands

and also in this thread: removed postings. a

this forum is a weird place.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/13/14 10:30 am

Lori.. I feel for you., I am 5 years out from RNY.. And I know I can gaun or not los weight on 1000 cal diet if I eat the wrong foods, yet I can lose weight on 1500-1700 cal diet if I eat the right foods for me.  Almost any carbs make me tired and gain weight. But high protein + fat diet make my body get rid of the stored fat. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Zeigled
on 3/13/14 11:00 am - Parkton, MD

Some other things to consider are that as we get older our metabolism slows down.  If you are not exercising, you will lose muscle mass which then also makes you burn less calories. It's kind of a catch 22.  One thing to try is arm exercises rather than bending/lifting since you just had a hernia operation.  Try and commit to a good 30 min to 45 min of exercise some of which should be strength training.  I agree with other posts about solid protein and counting your intake to make sure you are counting everything. Keep us posted.

HW 357 SW 341   

White Dove
on 3/13/14 8:54 pm - Warren, OH

I can give you some advice but it is up to you whether you want to do this or just stay with what you are doing.

I threw the protein shakes out when I first started regaining.  I don't need to get in lots of calories by drinking them.  Getting rid of three protein shakes a day made with milk got rid of about 700 calories.

I replaced some of those calories with extra fiber wheat bread, fruit, and a candy bar or ice cream sandwich.  I still stay at 1400 calories a day to maintain at 136. 

I am currently fighting a regain and cut to 1160 a day to lose 1/2 pound a week.  It will take me six more weeks to lose the last three pounds.

You can lose the rest of the weight if you make up your mind that it will take a lot of time.  Seventeen more pounds will get you to your 100 pound lost goal.  Are you willing to eat less for seventeen weeks?  Cutting 500 calories a day from your current diet will do that for you.

You need to start using myfitnesspal like it was your full time job to track your food.  Once you learn how to use it, it will only take a few minutes a day.  You need a scale that is accurate and that also measures body fat.  You need to get on that scale every single morning and see what you weigh.

The seventeen weeks will go by whether you use them to lose the weight or not.  It is your choice whether to make that your goal or to just wait for some magic to happen.  Eating more calories will not make you lose weight, it will make you gain weight. 

momjan
on 3/14/14 3:41 am - Canada

While I agree with some of this, I`m not sure if these are all good ideas for everyone.  It might work for you, but not others.   The protein shakes...I am over 4 years out and still enjoy at least one shake, perhaps two a day.  They up the protein levels for me and the higher protein count seems to stop any cravings in me for carbs.  My shakes are 100 cal. each, no fat, 4 carbs, 9 sugar alcohol and 21 g. protein.  They are fruit flavoured and I mix with water, so no extra calories in them.  For most people, eating an ice cream sandwich or candy bar will bring on dumping syndrome.  I would suggest if you need to up calories, find more appropriate food.  Even a black bean brownie or some type of protein bar (but read the labels; some are loaded with sugars and carbs) would be more appropriate.  I semi-stick to the formula of 5-5-5...no more than 5 g fat and sugar in a serving; more than 5 g protein in that serving.  A good guideline for ensuring you don`t dump from the fats and sugars found in so many foods.  And I still stay almost completely away from the bad white stuff....flour, sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta.  I rarely eat breads; I do have a 40 cal, 9 carb one I have about once a week.  And when baking I use alternate flours...coconut, almond, etc. to replace white. And no potatoes, etc at all.  Works for me!  Might not work for you......

White Dove
on 3/14/14 4:20 am - Warren, OH

Those are all excellent choices.  I live alone and would never bother to bake.  The closest I come is once in a while doing a one serving muffin in a mug recipe, using flaxseed or almond meal instead of flour.  But I have been at goal for years and know that I can also eat a small amount of full sugar foods without dumping.  If I overdo sugar, I will dump.  I do avoid the white stuff that used to be on my plate everyday, noodles, rice, pasta, potatoes, white bread, rolls, pastries, etc.  They are a sometimes treat and when I take a bite or two I do not want to eat them.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views