Questions for my coffee drinking friends...

Bsheldon
on 4/20/14 4:45 am

Those of you that drink coffee with creamer and sugar (splenda), here are my questions:

1. How long after surgery did you start drinking coffee again?

2. Decaf or regular?

3. Creamer: Fat-free or Sugar-free?

Thanks! I haven't had a cup of coffee in weeks and I miss it, not for any reason other than it is yummy!

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

poet_kelly
on 4/20/14 8:07 am - OH

I was not a big coffee drinker before surgery.  I probably started drinking it occasionally about six months post op.  At first I drank decaf.  Nowadays I like coffee a lot more than I did before for some reason.  I drink decaf most of the time, but regular occasionally.  I usually drink it black, although I like a little almond milk in iced coffee.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

somestorm
on 4/20/14 8:20 am
with

I'm just three months post-op and have just started drinking coffee again in the last few weeks. After 10 weeks without caffeine, the first few days I had regular coffee I was jittery, irritable, and emotional. I switched back to decaf plus a cup of regular tea. I've always had coffee with half and half with Equal, even before surgery. Post surgery, I've been topping off my coffee with 1% milk plus a tablespoon of sugar free (definitely not fat free) creamer. The sugar free stuff is great, just be careful not to overdo it because it's easy to get too much fat all at once and cause tummy upset. 

Nickeliz
on 4/20/14 10:02 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 06/18/13

I've never done well with caffeine so have always used decaf which I started drinking a month after my surgery just because I didn't have enough room for it before then   I started out using a creamer, but then switched to using the vanilla premier protein shakes instead because I like the taste (if you use a lot, it tastes like a latte) and it helps me get all my protein in. 

Brimiller808
on 4/20/14 10:09 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

Before surgery I barely drank coffee but at about 4 months out I became a coffee-holic. I drink caffeinated with Equal and fat free/non fat milk. I know, I know....ulcers might happen but so far it doesn't bother me. I seriously drink coffee all day long at work, however, I alternate each cup with a glass of water. I get a lot of exercise running back and forth to the bathroom. : )

What might not bother me might bother you so don't use me as your guide. 

averybyrd
on 4/20/14 10:21 am

Before surgery, I only ever drank super sugary, super milky coffee. Like Starbucks drinks. But since surgery, I find I like stronger flavors. I guess spicy and strong is taking the place of sweet and fried. Anyway, now I drink my coffee black. Decaf or caf, I put very little, if anything, in it. Occasionally, I will add a sprinkle of Stevia or a dollop of milk, but mostly I want it strong, bitter, and dark. 

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 4/20/14 10:30 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I was served coffee in the hospital.  I drink 2 cups of coffee every day.  I use splenda and regular cream.  I don't eat anything fat free--it usually has more sugar in it than regular fat food.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Mimisocks
on 4/20/14 12:30 pm - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

I always drank coffee pre-surgery, loved it, loved it!

I waited about 6 weeks post-op before resuming regular cups of coffee and now use flavored creamer or Splenda.  No side-effects from it, but coffee never did affect me.

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

Ladytazz
on 4/20/14 12:34 pm

Coffee-holic here.  First year I stuck with decaf but I gradually started drinking caffeine again with no problems.  I love my coffee super sweet so I use sugar free creamers like Sweet Italian Cream.  I prefer sugar free over fat free.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Amy D.
on 4/20/14 9:55 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

I was probably 6 months or so post-op before I started drinking coffee again although in the interest of full disclosure my surgeon advises against drinking coffee at all and certainly in the quantities that I currently drink it (now 2 years post-op).

Anyway, I drink it with a touch of splenda and a good amount of regular half & half. Occasionally I'll add some Torani or DaVinci sugar free syrup for fun.

I love coffee.

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Most Active
Recent Topics