Is this normal?

Thinknthin
on 4/20/14 6:35 am

Alright I went to the surgeon last Thursday and I was cleared to go on full liquids and since then I have only been able to get the courage up to have paneras low-fat chicken noodle soup just the broth of course and 4 ounces of premier protein. I was told to only try one type of full liquid at a time so if I do react/dump I will know exactly what my pouch doesn't like. I am so afraid to try any new full liquids, I am comfortable with my water, broth, and jello (sf). Anyway my questions are have you gone through this? Is this normal? What did you do to move past it? And any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.  

poet_kelly
on 4/20/14 6:53 am - OH

Broth is a clear liquid, not a full liquid.  Same with water and jello.  Clear liquids.

You won't dump unless your drinking/eating things with lots of sugar.

I wasn't afraid of eating/drinking things on my surgeon's plan, but I've heard some people say they were.  What is it you're so afraid of?  Are you getting in stuff with protein?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Thinknthin
on 4/20/14 6:59 am

Yes I am getting the protien with the isopure drinks, I am just afraid of testing my new stomach out on new foods/thicker full liquids. I know it's strange but it is kinda scary to change to the next phase going from clear to full, and dr only wants me on full for a week then I can move to soft purée foods for a week then so on. I guess I am not comfortable with change and the unknowns, what if I dump  I hated throwing up before now it's just a scary thought. 

poet_kelly
on 4/20/14 7:07 am - OH

If you stick to your plan you probably won't dump.  But what if you do?  Then you'll be miserable for an hour or so and then it'll pass.  As far as throwing up, it's never fun, but I actually find it less horrible post op because we have so much less stomach acid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

southernpeachnc
on 4/20/14 8:07 am

Kelly is an expert at this and you should listen.  I'm 3 1/2 months post op and I can tell you that you just need to take that leap of faith and do it. Very few have problems as you have on your mind.  You must move forward.  I can tell you on my 3rd wk I ate tuna salad that I'd eaten pre-surgery and I dumped. It lasted about an hour but the thing I dreaded most happened and I was ok.  I've had no problems with anything else and I just steer clear of it.  You can't live your life being this fearful.  You'll survive if you dump. You just learn from it and move forward.  I would doubt on the liquid part that you would dump anyway.  As Kelly said it is sugar and or greasy food issues with dumping. The tuna with the mayo caused my reaction.  Take the leap>

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Grim_Traveller
on 4/20/14 9:44 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Dumping is very specific, and it will only happen with sugar. Other things may disagree with you and make you feel terrible, but it is a different reaction altogether from dumping.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

southernpeachnc
on 4/20/14 2:38 pm

My NUT told me that's what it was. I spoke with her after it happened.  I was told sugar and greasy/fats would cause it?

southernpeachnc
on 4/20/14 11:26 pm

My NUT told me that's what it was. I spoke with her after it happened.  I was told sugar and greasy/fats would cause it?

Bsheldon
on 4/20/14 8:24 am

I started on full liquids this week too. I think I have pushed the envelope to soft solids though. I haven't had any dumping. I am anxious to try new things. I think I have the opposite problem as you, I may be trying too many new things and too quickly. I am having fun learning how to eat again. I was miserable on the liquid diet and just wanted to eat something!

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

wedon504
on 4/20/14 8:05 pm - Metairie, LA

I can't wait for the soft diet either.  I can't believe puree actually sounds good!!!!   Good Luck!!!!

Wedon

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?