Taste, Smell and Appetite Changes After RNY

Dcgirl
on 4/24/14 1:12 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Omg-the first weeks after surgery I thought a litter of nice had died behind my fridge-something smelled soooo bad! I would ask anyone who came over to come into the kitchen and NO ONE SMELLED IT!!! I thought I was going insane. I still get a whiff of something when I open the freezer (and can frozen food even smell?) but again, no one else can smell it. It's so bizarre! It drives me crazy. Thanks for posting the article and helping me feel less crazy, Pam :)

babydogmama
on 4/24/14 2:02 pm

Lots of taste changes and aversions for me. THe thought of melted cheese makes me nauseous. Chees in general is only tolerable and I used to LOVE cheese. I was crazy about spicy and saucy things before and almost all now are so much stronger tasting and smelling to me I am hoping this changes

tdbull
on 4/24/14 1:59 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Very interesting. The only real aversion that I have experienced is to seafood. I used to LOVE shrimp and salmon. Post surgery, I had what I though was a craving for shrimp, so we went to the store and bought some, came home to make shrimp ****tails and salad and the minute I smelled it, I was done. I couldn't eat it. Now I can eat about 4-5 tiny shrimp and am done. Same with salmon. I can only eat 2-3 bites and finished. Can't take another bite. Everything else I've eaten is fine. Funny.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

MyLady Heidi
on 4/25/14 12:37 am

I have many taste and smell aversions.  There are entire food groups I cannot even stand to be near based on the smell, basically fried food falls into this category as well as fish and most pork.  I can eat chicken and lean beef, occasionally some smoked ham, but even bacon seems very greasy and gross to me now.  My boyfriend says I am a very picky eater, perhaps, but I only eat what I actually like and nothing else.  I will not eat because it is there and if it smells bad I am out.  His family enjoys pork chops, which smells like rotting meat to me.  The little local grocery store where they actually butcher meat smells disgusting to me, everything seems rancid although no one smells that smell but me.  It does make for limited eating.  I cannot stand the smell of coffee, I cannot be around when it is made or it will make me feel queasy, although this is a lifelong thing for me, not something that happened since surgery.  I have a long list of banned foods that I no longer eat.  If you could see my diet compared to my pre surgery diet it is truly like night and day.  This probably has made my success much easier.

BWB
on 4/25/14 3:48 am

My taste buds were off, which is kind of bad for me since we own and run a B & B.  It scared me at first because nothing tasted like I remembered.  With time it has returned to normal.  Salt is the only thing of which I really don't like an overdose. To think about it I really don't like a lot of restuarant food but mine is great.  go figure.

Most Active
Recent Topics