what if I want cake?

averybyrd
on 5/23/14 6:16 am

My birthday is Sunday. I'm 9 months out. Our birthday tradition is to have a family dinner. The birthday person gets to chooses the meal and the cake. We read the same card ever year. It's kind of a big deal. 

I know I can choose something that everyone will like for dinner. If there are any carbs, I can just skip them. But what about cake? Is there a kind that's lower in sugar that I could have just a little piece of? I would normally choose carrot and they'd buy it from the grocery store, but that's probably about the worst option fat and sugar wise. 

So what kinds of cake would you choose? Or you have a suggestion for an acceptable alternative? The way this week had gone, I'm thinking I can't face a bowl of fruit on my birthday. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/14 6:38 am

The only cake I used to have - was cheesecake.  I had a small piece of a couple of bites

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

karin602
on 5/23/14 7:33 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Check out the recipe forum under all forums. If you search cake there are quite a few wls friendly recipes. I had trouble finding search it's the magnifying glass next to MY OH 

Karin

poet_kelly
on 5/23/14 7:50 am - OH

There is sugar free cake.  I had some of that on my birthday last year because I wanted cake.  Or, if you can tolerate small amounts of sugar (which most people can) eat a small amount of regular cake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

aesposito
on 5/23/14 7:56 am

There are sugar free cake and brownies in the store.  Too many sugar alcohols for me (not everyone is sensitive to them, but I am unfortunately) but you might like them.  I find they taste better if you add some sour cream to the mix, a better "mouth feel" or something...

Or more realistically, get a carrot cake and have a bite.  Even among people who dump, one bite rarely does it.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

AR_Queen
on 5/23/14 10:40 am
RNY on 05/29/13

Last year for my birthday (I was 2 months out) I bought an ice cream cake for everyone else, because I don't like ice cream.  I didn't miss the cake.  But, at Thanksgiving, I made pumpkin pie, which I love, and I had a couple of small bites of it, and it was enough.  You know yourself better than anyone. If you think you can stop at a little bit, go ahead and have the cake.  If you can't, or sugar bothers you, I say get a small cake, and just enjoy your family (instead of cake) :)

Happy birthday!!

56sunShine14
on 5/23/14 11:39 am

I made a great tasting chocolate cake for Mother's Day and used applesauce instead of oil and you can use one of many other types of sweetner.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

char1403
on 5/23/14 10:34 pm - MI
RNY on 05/17/12

My birthday is Monday. Last year was my 50th and I was one year post op. Never had a dumping episode. I had had a bite here and there off of my husband's over the previous few months. No problems. My husband gave me a 50th party last year and got me a cake from my favorite Italian bakery. I ate my small dinner meal and figured I was "safe" with a small 3 bite size piece of cake. Boy, was I wrong. I experienced my first dumping episode on my at my party, in front of all my guests. I figure they all got dinner and a "show" that day! As I had the whole full blown effect from the cake. Sweating, rapid heart beat, near passing out, nausea and dry heaves. I pretty much assume it wasn't the cake so much as it was the "extremely" sweet frosting. So just be careful. I haven't dumped since. I can get away with a couple small cookies here and their but I never pu**** Plus I stay away from frosting :) Happy Birthday to both of us this weekend. Enjoy your day and here's to many more for all of us!

happyteacher
on 5/23/14 10:56 pm

Hi,

I am a sleever so please forgive the trolling here.  I did a protein cake my first year (see Eggface's blog).  It can be made without sugar and applesauce used instead of oil.  It is not an absolutely perfect substitute, but it worked well for me.  It is not something you would want to scale up for the family though.  Happy birthday!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

White Dove
on 5/23/14 11:33 pm - Warren, OH

Suppose you are in the process of building a beautiful new brick home. You have saved your money and managed to obtain the property, building materials, and a home builder. One day you go to the site to see how the house is coming along.

At first you are thrilled to see the strong, straight, even rows of brick. You think what a wonderful job your builder is doing. But as you walk around the house, you notice a big gap in the foundation where there are bricks but no mortar to hold them in place. If you poke at the bricks, they will come out in that section.

Each section of the house has some places where the foundation is loose and shaky. You ask the builder why. He explains that mixing and laying mortar is hard work and it is easier to just stack the bricks. The first section with no mortar was on his birthday. After all his hard work, he deserved to have it easier and just stacked the bricks that day. Another day of no mortar was a wedding of a friend, then a daughter’s birthday, a graduation party, his parent’s anniversary, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, New Year’s Eve.

Surely you did not expect the same quality of foundation to be laid on special days like that. By the time you get to the last section of the house, there is no mortar at all. Just loose bricks that will collapse with a good gust of wind.

You are building your new life here. You can accept a slip-shod job or you can demonstrate to others that your health and weight loss is more important than a traditional birthday. The foundation that you lay now is what will sustain you on this journey through the rest of your life. If you start to slack off now, you will find more and more excuses to stray from your eating plan.

The first years after surgery are the hard work of building a strong new body and a new way of thinking about and enjoying food. When you are at goal and have learned how to maintain, then a small slip will not send your whole building crashing down.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends