Sparkle Water

BigPoppa22
on 5/28/14 5:05 am
RNY on 03/21/14

I am wondering what if any dangers there would be in drinking naturally flavored sparkle water like La Croix or Perier. There are no artificial sweeteners just natural flavorings like lemon, lime etc. However they are carbonated. So why is it that we are not to have carbonation. Everything I have found talks about pop and the issues about regain due to either calories or the artificial sweeteners. However is just carbonation bad for us?

mama_dee54
on 5/28/14 5:24 am

I am wondering too......

poet_kelly
on 5/28/14 5:33 am - OH

Nope, no dangers.  Some people find they have discomfort if they drink something carbonated, but discomfort isn't dangerous, it's just uncomfortable.  Many people don't have any discomfort from it at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/28/14 6:08 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am a huge fan of San Pelligrino water -- however, the Cleveland Clinic says NO carbonation for at least 18 months after surgery.  Is there a good reason?  Probably not but I am trying to stay true to plan.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Nickeliz
on 5/28/14 6:48 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 06/18/13

I drink LaCroixs all the time and don't have any problems.

Blackbird1987
on 5/28/14 6:52 am

I heard medical professionals say that carbonation stretches out your stomach pouch because it expands and also that it is due to the discomfort that some people feel with the bubbles and having difficulty expelling gas. Like when you swallow air with your water and your chest hurts until the air bubble passes. 

poet_kelly
on 5/28/14 7:33 am - OH

Since there is an opening at the top and another at the bottom of your pouch, carbonation cannot stretch the pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Blackbird1987
on 5/28/14 7:35 am

That makes sense… maybe I was told that to prevent me from drinking carbonation all together… it has certainly worked so far haha! Good to know though! Thanks! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/28/14 8:07 am

First year any carbonation would hurt.  Now - only if I try to drink it from a bottle or a can. I need yo pour it on ice and remove some of the bubbles.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics