2 weeks to go RNY @ St Michaels and Im nervous

khill03
on 6/2/14 4:04 am
RNY on 06/16/14

hello all

this is my first post so not too sure if I am doing this correct

I am scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks at St Michaels hospital in toronto and not sure really what to expect

Caroline K.
on 6/2/14 7:17 am

I had my surgery on April 23rd at Guelph General Hospital. Checked in early, waited a while after getting changed, then more waiting on a gurney outside the OR, then some prep and lights out until I woke up in recovery. I didn't expect to be in the hospital for two nights, but that seems to be the minimum stay there. Apart from being woken up way too often and the massive bruises from where they inject the blood thinners (*don't* let them rub those spots or your bruises will be the size of a clenched fist), it was pretty uneventful.

The initial amounts of liquid to sip were restricted, then eventually you're allowed more. Before you can leave, you have to show you're able to keep yourself hydrated. You also need to be walking around some. I'd recommend bringing some earplugs and maybe a book/magazine, though you'll probably sleep a lot initially. I really wanted to get out and go home, so I made sure I drank regularly and walked a bit when I felt able. The hardest part was learning to slow down on the drinking, as it was uncomfortable if I drank too fast. A pillow to cushion your belly from the seatbelt for the ride home also helps.

I was lucky, and didn't need the prescribed pain killers when I got home. I found extra strength Tylenol was enough. If you need them, though, take them. You'll heal better if you're not in pain.

Good luck!

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

khill03
on 6/2/14 7:25 am
RNY on 06/16/14

thank you so much

I am very nervous and the pointers are very appreciated!

I was trying to figure out how to message and add friends but I am not sure how 

Caroline K.
on 6/2/14 7:31 am

If you hover your cursor over someone's highlighted name in a post, a little dialogue pops up. One of the options is to "Add Friend". As for messages, if you're logged in, click on your name and the drop-down menu has a link for messages. You can send messages from there. Feel free to "friend" me if you want, I'll answer what I can...

Glad to help--the other pointer I remember seeing a lot was to bring some sort of chapstick; a lot of people complained of dry lips. You can click on the little magnifying glass icon to search the forum. I'd recommend using that and searching the forum for info on what to bring to the hospital. There are lots of good posts.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

NewMe2.0
on 6/2/14 11:37 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hello and welcome.  There is also an Ontario Forum...here is the link.  Good luck on your journey.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)