So I had my annual physical Wednesday...

Lisa167
on 6/20/14 5:13 am
VSG on 08/14/14

My PCP knows I'm having WLS, and have chosen RNY.  He agrees on that choice, at list I think.  (I know he's recommended it for other patients, but not for me - maybe because I'm a "light weight"?)

Right at the onset he said "you've lost weight" (in a nice tone)

Me "yes, I'm sticking to a plan the nutritionist gave me and have increased exercise, I've even started biking - who'd have thought?"  (I have a great relationship with my doc)

We head off to the scale, and he says "if you can lose weight, why the surgery?"

Seriously??  I've been going to you for 25 years, and my weight has always been an issue.  Well, DUH, I've never thought to go on a diet!!

I said to him - "Don't go there.  You know I've dropped some weight before in a short time and it comes back and more, I need this tool and support system."  That ended it.

I just wasn't expecting to be questioned on my decision for WLS because I've managed to drop some weight before surgery to get as healthy for that day as I can.  Anyone else run in to this??  Frankly, it kind of irritated me.  I can laugh it off and smh now, but what if I took what he said to heart and changed my mind?

Oh well, onwards and downwards

selhard
on 6/20/14 5:53 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Good for You. Most of have experienced the quickest way to gain 10# was to lose 5#.  Being SMO, I lost 80# before WLS having RNY as the recommended ammunition to keep the progress going.  Again, Good for You no matter what you decide to do.

Lisa167
on 6/20/14 6:01 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Thanks selhard - needed that

Cunning_Pam
on 6/20/14 7:42 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Good for you! It's kind of surprising that your doctor would have said that, knowing your history, but even medical professionals can be prejudiced against WLS. Sure, many of us can lose weight, it's keeping it off that's the nightmare for most of us. I hope your experience resulted in some education for your doc.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Lisa167
on 6/20/14 10:36 am
VSG on 08/14/14

thanks Pam.  I think that's what surprised me.  He surely knows my struggles and issues.

But, he'll see the good it does and I hope he'll see that it was a good decision and maybe he'll change his approach/view point.

Grandmaneice
on 6/20/14 10:34 am
RNY on 03/24/14

Oh my yes, I had to have an endoscopy done before my surgery as I have Barrette's Esophogus and they wanted to make sure everything was okay.  So I told my gastronolgist that I was having an RNY. And he said you are not that heavy, you just need to loose a few pounds, like us all.  This is from a guy that every damn year I went to see him, kept telling me I needed to loose weight..he tried to tell me this is a life altering surgery, etc.  I did not go through over a year of pre op stuff to change my mind.  

So yes, I know what you are going through!  Good luck.

Lisa167
on 6/20/14 11:31 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Thanks Grandmaneice!

I guess it's kind of funny (sad?) when folks think - just loose a few pounds and you'll be all set.  It makes it obvious that they haven't had the long term WL battles we've endured.

I see you're a few months out, I hope you're doing well!!

Grandmaneice
on 6/20/14 6:28 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

You're welcome.  3 months out as of Tuesday down 40 lbs since surgery, 75 since I started. No complications, other than eating something's that didn't agree with me; left over meat heated up.  Can eat it the first time, but not reheat it.

Keep us posted on your surgery.  It will be here before you know it.

catijoefarm
on 6/20/14 11:54 pm
with

You handled that great!  My surgery is in August and I'm waiting for that question to come up.  I hope I handle it as calmly as you did.  Blessings!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views