Surgery in less than 48 hours. The nerves are finally setting in

NessaV29
on 7/6/14 2:25 am, edited 7/6/14 4:29 am

I have been fine fir the past 6 months. People always ask me "Aren't you nervous about the surgery?" I honestly haven't been. Until last night. I watched the sun come up as I stressed about all the possible complications and such. I can't wait to finally get to the hospital as I think this is going to be the longest two days of my life!

30 years old, RNY scheduled for 07/08/2014 at UIC, Surgeon: Dr Elli

AnnyBananny
on 7/6/14 2:53 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Nessa, I was the same way! I didn't feel nervous until the very end and then I felt pretty much terrified. I just tried to remind myself that I had chosen a Center of Excellent, I trusted my surgeon and her team, and that my family and friends were pulling for me!

I don't think there's any way to not be nervous, but you'll be there soon enough and like most of us, you'll feel like it's the best decision you've ever made! Good luck and we'll see you on the Losers' Bench soon.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

karin602
on 7/6/14 3:06 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I had a long wait to surgery almost a year with a bunch of extra tests. I was so ready for it to happen. Nervous definitely but trusted my center of ex doc and knew all my tests were fine. It still seemed surreal being prepped and wondered if I should get up and run! Next thing I knew I was waking up and besides the scrap I have to go through with anesthesia nausea and dizziness all was well. Good luck I guess on Tuesday and you'll be on the losers bench getting healthy!

Karin

Dianna S.
on 7/6/14 3:29 am

I was fine until the night before.  I laid in bed with my husband talking about and privately thinking "is it too late to back out?" 

I was just nerves and only 6 days post-op I can already see a change in myself and in my family's attitude toward health.  as I went through all the pre-op stuff-paperwork a hundred medical question, getting an IV, I just kept focusing on the task at hand and not the fast approaching surgery.  as the wheeled me out of the staging room I told them I was really nervous and the nurse gave me some happy juice.  GOD BLESS THAT NURSE!  I was calm and able to climb on the OR table with no nerves at all. 

I don't know if I did anything right at all but I made it and I couldn't have done anything any differently.

good luck!

RNY on 6/30/14 with Dr Boynton

NessaV29
on 7/6/14 4:31 am

Wow, I was typing on my phone! Darn autocorrect! Good to know that it's a normal thing! I just have a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. I hope they cut that out, lol!

30 years old, RNY scheduled for 07/08/2014 at UIC, Surgeon: Dr Elli

emckechnie
on 7/6/14 8:58 am - West Sacramento, CA

Nessa, I had the surgery on 6/30 after chickening out 3 times before. I found it useful to concentrate on my 'before' picture and to list all the conditions I wanted to get rid of: diabetes, hypertension, gerd, joint pain.... and then I focused on what would likely happen if I didn't do the surgery. Not a pretty picture. Nobody WANTS major surgery, but some of us HAVE to, to save our own lives.

I celebrated Independence Day on 6/30 this year. I woke up later with minimal pain but very thirsty. They gave me the little sponge-pops (i.e. little sponge on a stick) to moisten your mouth & lips. Everything else has gone just fine except I miss having food rather than these shakes. I get tired of sweet flavorings.

Bottom line, add up all the things you gain and remind yourself why you're doing this. It'll work out just fine! If you're really nervous, tell them so! My husband had RNY a year ago and was really scared. They gave him some happy drugs and a pep-talk and he calmed immediately.

You're saving your own life, kiddo!

vfx32012
on 7/6/14 11:43 am

I'll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way!  You're gonna do great and it will all be well worth it!  Hugs! 

kbb0185
on 7/6/14 9:45 pm
RNY on 07/15/14

Good luck!  I am on the 15th and my nerves have been kicking in too.  You have to trust in your surgeon, and just do everything you need to do.  The great things to come greatly outweigh the possible complications or pain you'll feel after surgery.  You got this lady!  We are almost the same age, we can do it together!  I'll be joining you on the losers bench soon :)

Most Active
Recent Topics