Severe pain when I eat and gaining weight. 2+weeks post op.

ce004995
on 7/21/14 4:24 pm - TX

Hi All

I had my surgery over 2 weeks ago and was suppose to start on mushy foods last Thursday. I had only been drinking water until then. I started eating small portions of refried beans and sometimes cottage cheese, and everything was fine. But now all of a sudden, in the last 3 days, anything I eat causes sharp pains in my pouch, even protein drinks, It's so bad it feels like I am being stabbed. I usually end up throwing whatever I eat up or have to make myself throw up to get it out.

Also, I had gotten down to 258 when I was just drinking water, but now I weigh 270 and hardly eat anything all day (because I can't).

Is the pain I am experiencing from eating, normal? And is the weight gain normal?

Thanks in advance. 

White Dove
on 7/21/14 7:27 pm - Warren, OH

Call your surgeon.  Could be normal healing or could be a stricture.  I had sharp pain the first time I tried a protein shake at less than one week out.  I went back to clear liquids for a few days and never had the pain again. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ladygodiva1228
on 7/21/14 7:28 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Please give your doctor a call it could be a stricture.  Those will cause issues with food and pain.  Of course it could be something else.  I hope you feel better.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

new_me180
on 7/22/14 5:20 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Call your surgeon, could be an ulcer. Had the same symptoms 3 weeks out after i moved to mushy foods. Every time i ate or drank anything it would cause a sharp pain, led me back to the hospital for 8 days as i got dehydrated.

RubyJG
on 7/22/14 6:59 am

Hey there,

Offering an alternative which may or may not help. I had a similar constellation of symptoms although the pain was not only in my pouch but also in my intestines (below navel). It would happen soon after eating, and when I ate solid/mushy foods. I would feel stabbing waves of pain on the center-left side of my abdomen and then it would pass for a bit until the waves started again but this time in my intestines.

1. Are the stabbing pains accompanied by bowel sounds that you can feel/hear in your abdomen? Almost like a grumbling or digesting sound.

2. Is the pouch pain immediate or delayed by a half an hour or more? Where is the pain located? Is it entirely localized to your pouch? 

3. Could your weight gain have to do with water/stool retention?

4. Even if your bowel movements have been regular, you still may not have been able to move enough out of you. This happened to me...I was going every day but small amounts. Turns out the volume of our stool is actually incredibly large for the less amount of food we eat. I was on the way to the ER when I called my doctor with similar symptoms, he suggested constipation as the cause and with laxatives/increase in water...he was right. Although I had been going every day....there was so much left in me.

not a doctor, just a suggestion. Constipation can be incredibly painful causing stabbing waves of pain whi*****luded my pouch...and happened after eating. If I ate nothing but only drank clear liquids I had no problem. 

"If you're going through hell, keep going."- Winston Churchill

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 305 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?