sleeve to RNY revision

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/14 7:08 am

I had a sleeve 4 years ago and lost 70+ pounds. I have gained most of it back. At the time, the sleeve was new and I was told you could only have a DS revision if the sleeve failed and there was no way to have an RNY. Now, I rejoin OH and find people having RNY revisions also.

I don't know what I am going to do. I never thought I would be here considering yet another surgery.

If you have any information on a sleeve to RNY revision I would love to hear your story or input.

Thanks!

DYFAN
on 8/2/14 9:53 am
RNY on 07/16/14

I just had a revision sleeve to bypass on july 16th.   I lost about 70 lbs with the sleeve and gained back 35 of it.  My main reason was the severe GERD I had.

Surgery was a lot more painful this time around.  Dr. said that it was because I was under longer.  Also after he did the leak test he noticed some bubbles so had to oversew and glue the area and put in drain.  A week later though I was feeling pretty good and all seems to be okay.

I've lost 19 lbs since surgery but the dr. warned me that my weight loss would be slower.  Been walking about 5000 steps a day.  Today was the first day that I just haven't had any energy and slept a lot and have taken easy.

Its been hard starting over again, i.e., clear liquids, full liquids, puree.  Tuesday I start on soft foods for two weeks.  Anxious to see how my body reacts at that point.  A lot easier to get my fluids in this time around.

If you have any questions, let me know.  I was on the fence about having the surgery.  Never thought I'd ever do the bypass but when the reflux continued after several different meds, just kinda felt like I didn't have a choice.

Anne O.
on 8/2/16 4:16 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

How are you doing with your revision to rny nearly 2 years later? I ask because I think that is my future. I just recently got a sleeve but the GERD is so bad I may need to revise it later. 

Thanks, 

-Anne

DYFAN
on 8/22/16 2:35 pm
RNY on 07/16/14

Sorry I haven't responded sooner.

First of all, the DS is not going to help when you have severe gerd.

I never wanted an RNY and told the surgery when I had VSG if he couldn't do during surgery, than just close me up.  Was just my personal feelings and not wanted to reroute my intestines.

With that being said, I find myself 2 years out from RNY.  I'm down to 5 lbs from my goal weight.  Hair loss was more for this surgery but it has all grown back.  The Gerd is gone for the most part, still take Nexium as a precaution.  My gerd was so bad with both acid and bile, I'd wake up in the middle of night with it coming up my throat.  I know that can do some serious damage to your throat and can eventually cause cancer if not treated.

Really haven't had any dumping syndrome.  Careful what I eat.  If I'm really bad I'll end up with diarrhea which was common for me (IBS) before surgery.    

One of the hardest things to deal with is no anti-inflammatory or cortisone pills.  I have a lot of neck issues and just had surgery.  My dr. said I could have as many cortisone shots as I needed but absolutely no anti-inflammatory or cortisone pills.   Pain was so bad, I ended up on hydrocodone and ended up having surgery 2 months ago.  I'd say that is the hardest part of having the surgery.

Not sure once you have the sleeve and severe GERD whether there is any other options but to convert. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions.

MsBatt
on 8/3/14 3:03 am

You should really think long an d hard before doing this. Long-term, the Sleeve and the RNY have about the same results. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. With the DS you would still be able to take NSAIDs. That may not seem important right now, but as you get older you may develop arthritis or other medical conditions that are best treated with NSAIDs.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views