Hypoglycemia

robynrobyn36
on 8/24/14 12:25 pm - NH
RNY on 02/25/13

Hi, I am 18 months post-op and have been having a problem with low blood sugars- anyone else have this problem?  Usually I just feel a little lightheaded and I know it's time to eat something, no big deal.  Yesterday I was at work and I actually passed out and fell on the floor.   I immediately checked my blood sugar and it was only 43; this was about an hour after having a protein shake for breakfast.  I work in a hospital so I went to the ER and my labs, EKG etc showed no problems, and I have felt fine since then but I'm a little concerned, I don't want this to happen again!   I plan to follow up with my PCP, just curious if any others have had experience with this! 

Surgery date 2/25/13, Single mom of 2 great kids, Psych RN

Lady Lithia
on 8/24/14 12:28 pm

Reactive hypoglycemia ... pancreas creates too much insulin ... best way to combat it is to never have more than 25 grams of total carbs (fiber counts too) per meal. Even good carbs. I dump too, but find dumping is no big deal next to RH 

Good luck

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

robynrobyn36
on 8/24/14 1:13 pm - NH
RNY on 02/25/13

I've been researching online and that's what I'm coming up with too as the most likely explanation.   Funny, the ER doc didn't seem to think he had anything to do with my gastric bypass, he blamed it on maybe the room being too hot, stress, or that I bent over in a certain position- none of which made any sense to me.  It's a hospital that does bariatric surgeries but not where I had mine done- they need to learn to recognize common side effects of the surgery!   Anyhoo, thanks for the input! :)  

Surgery date 2/25/13, Single mom of 2 great kids, Psych RN

Ocalasam
on 8/25/14 12:28 am
RNY on 12/18/12

That has totally happened to me several times since surgery.  I have actually passed out twice and gotten pretty woozie a few more times.  I NEVER had this happen before surgery, so yes, it's definitely from the surgery!!!  The good thing is that I am 20 months out and it rarely happens anymore, so I think maybe it's just our bodies adjusting.  LOTS of people on this site have decribed the exact same scenario, so I think it's pretty common.  I also make sure I don't stand up too fast, as my BP is low now as well.

pathchic
on 8/25/14 1:13 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Good to know it might go away!

jefferytmc
on 8/25/14 12:35 am

I am 6 months post op, and I find if I have too many carbs, my sugar starts to drop.

Not as low as yours was (and all those factors mentioned, would not cause low blood sugar, though they could cause fainting).

A couple of nights ago, I had eaten more carbs than I should have and I woke up about 1am feeling that my sugar was dropping.  I was sweating profusely and felt very light headed.  I probably should have woken up my wife, but I did not want to disturb her.  So I made my way downstairs and got something to eat to raise my BG.  I did not check it, but I have checked it at 70 and I felt way lower than that. I probably was not too far from passing out.

From that (and feeling a bit weak before), I have learned I have to better manage my carb consumption (as I should post surgery anyway).

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

pathchic
on 8/25/14 1:12 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

So funny- I just posted on this same issue! Should've read your post first!  

My NUT suggested a few WW crackers when I feel it coming on, followed by a high protein within 30 minutes.  That seems to work pretty well. I have found skim milk works pretty well too.  My problem is in the mornings, I wake up with this nearly everyday.  NUT suggested a protein snack before bed.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views