how to get back on track

Anna E.
on 9/12/14 4:50 am - San Antonio, TX

Im 7 years post op and I've started gaining uncontrollably how do I get back on track. Yall please give me some tips. I really need them.

Thank you 

White Dove
on 9/12/14 2:49 pm - Warren, OH

You track your food and eat 500 less calories a day to lose a pound in a week.  You figure the amount you heed by multiplying your weight by 10.  Example: If you weight 200 pounds then you need 2000 calories a day.  Drop to 1500 a day to lose a pound at the end of the week. 

Weigh yourself every day.  Staying away from the scale tells your brain that you can eat what you want. 

Losing at seven years out is a long slow process.  Don't expect to lose quickly.  Slow and steady will win the race.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dasie
on 9/12/14 10:31 pm

Some of the best advice I have ever read on this site.  Thank you – I have never heard of the take your weight, multiplyby 10 subtract 500 method.  I have gained 12 pounds since last October.  Totally totally my fault.  I know what and how much I have been eating.  Like you said, I have a feeling this is going to be a slow process. But I must at all cost stop this now.  That was a great post you shared

White Dove
on 9/13/14 12:27 am - Warren, OH

Thank you Dasie,

Believe me I have tried every diet trick there is and nothing ever worked except counting calories.  I would love for that not to be true, but it is the only thing that really works.  Twelve pounds means 12 weeks at 500 calories less or 24 weeks at 250 calories less.  That is also how you gained the weight.  It only take 250 extra calories a day to gain 1/2 pound a week.  In a year that becomes 26 pounds.

A few small extras a day is how most of us become obese in the first place.  Giving them up is how to stay at your goal weight permanently. 

If I really want something, like a brownie with chocolate icing, then I will cut out enough calories during the day so that I can add my treat in.  I plan my eating and I track my eating.  I don't deny myself any certain food.  But I am almost seven years out.  For the first years I did not touch flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, corn, crackers, cake, candy, ice cream, etc.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dasie
on 9/13/14 6:19 pm

Thank you for the reminder.  Last October, while remodeling, I fell from a ladder.  I weighed 127 and maintaining was fairly easy.  I injured my foot and was unable to walk for quite a while.  Then the holidays came.  The lack of exercise and discipline caused me to slowly creep up.  Like you, the first couple years I omitted white from my diet.  Then I slowly became less vigilant this last year. I think I have only come to the site several times this year.  But I refuse to keep this weight on.  I became very sloppy with myfitnesspal and started skipping my daily weigh  inns.  Like you I must count calories also.  There is no other way.

Laura in Texas
on 9/13/14 11:13 am

Hi, Dasie!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

dasie
on 9/13/14 6:20 pm

Hi Laura - good to see you 

Laura in Texas
on 9/13/14 11:12 am

Find a support group. Or stick around here if there is not a local group you can attend. You have posted this same thing repeatedly since pretty early in your journey.

Forgive yourself and move on. Stop making excuses and make better choices.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MindyMac51
on 9/13/14 11:50 pm

RNY Nov. 2010. HW 280; SW 260; LW post-op 182; maintained 11/11-10/12; regained 38 lb. by 6/24/14, 220.  I woke up and got back on track in late June 2014. Now at 200.6. 

Yes, getting back on track is key -- but how do we get back on track when we've relapsed? For me cutting bad carbs, not feeling guilty, regaining confidence, and getting re-motivated to lose again were the keys to stopping the regain and getting back on track. First and most important for me was eliminating the craving for bad carbs and getting back to the basic plan: high protein, low carb 1200-1400 calories/day, water, no wine, no bad carbs, 60-70 minutes of walking almost every day. I keep track of food and exercise at MyFitnessPal and read posts here every day. 

The rate of loss may be slower, but 1-2 lbs./week is doable and sustainable! I've lost 20 of the 38 lb. regain in 11 weeks. I feel so much better, and I'm almost back to Onederland! My goals: to continue losing at the rate of 1-2 lb. a wee****il I reach my old post-op LW (182; only 18.5 to go); then down to the post-op GW I never reached (170 or less). Good luck to you! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views