Craving Salt 13 weeks post op

kbb0185
on 10/14/14 10:12 am
RNY on 07/15/14

I used to LOVE sweets, they were my downfall.as a lot of people describe my tastes totally changed after surgery.  Sweets no longer appeal to me at all, and I do not want to test the waters with dumping, so I happily turn down all sweets, have not tried even a bite.  I was able to have an entire cheesecake in my house for my husband birthday, serve him and my daughter leftovers and it didn't bother me at all. It is liberating to know that a cheesecake can sit in my fridge and not be calling my name day and night.

I do however find myself constantly craving salt.I allow myself crackers and chips occasionally, as long as they are planned into my day.  Now I find myself only wanting salty things.  Is this a sign off something I'm deprived of?  I drink 100 ounces of water a day.  Will this be the nature of my tastebuds forever or did people fund they changed back after time?

Surgery Date: 07/15/2014

jenn1469
on 10/14/14 11:04 am

In the beginning i always wanted chips not anymore I'm 4 months po

Jennifer

NinaCanDOit
on 10/14/14 11:07 am
RNY on 06/27/14

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you but I went through that phase - though mine was more salty/vinegary?  I ended up buying a jar of pickles for the pickle juice which I then made into frozen popcicles.  Yum!  (forgive me if that sounds weird, it might be a Texas thing)

I have always had a thing for salty snacks - crackers, chex mix, chips (and on and on...) much more so than sweets - but post op I'm really into salty/vinegar/spicy things.  If my dinner doesn't have chiles or tobasco on it, well maybe it needs some... and there I go.  If I need a crunchy texture I have some soy nuts or parmesan crisps.  I have not had any chips or snacky-vending-machine type stuff though because I feel like those are not safe foods for me.  I'm not sure if they'll be triggering or not, I just kinda don't want to go there.  It literally took all of my willpower to keep on walking by two open bags of chips with dip and salsa in the teachers lounge this afternoon as I was leaving. 

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

kbb0185
on 10/15/14 4:50 am
RNY on 07/15/14

Frozen pickles...hmmm LOL!  I need to try some pickles, maybe I'll like them now! 

GodsChildII
on 10/14/14 11:21 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I am in the EXACT same situation as you described, remove your name and insert mine! My down fall use to be sweets and now I have absolutely no desire ( and I am to afraid of dumping to even think about testing the waters).

I also allow myself a few crackers or plain chips and make sure to log it on myfitness pal, so that I am able to keep track of calories, carbs etc. So far the occasional allowance has not caused any triggers or cravings.

kbb0185
on 10/15/14 4:52 am
RNY on 07/15/14

Yes, exactly!  I have found no issues (so far) with incorporating them in.  I am down almost 80 lbs in 13 weeks....

Grim_Traveller
on 10/14/14 2:22 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Please be careful of crackers. I have heard from more people who started to regain because of crackers than anything else, even sweets. Crackers are a lot of empty calories, and you can eat them all day long.

Crackers are the devil's food.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/14/14 5:54 pm

Most of our post op diet is very low on salt.  Get some salt into you. NSA pickles, pickes juice, add salt to your protein shakes, just a pinch here and there may help. 

If you using salt -Try to get high high quality salt - sea salt art least. I use pink Himalayan salt.  Drinking chicken stock with salts is my to go drink when i crave more salt. 

Even 6 years out, i am lucky to get 1000-1500 mg of salt per day unless i remember to add salt to my food. 

WE need salt to maintain proper balance of minerals and water. Drinking lots of plain water and not adding salt may make you dehydrated becasue you would be removing - flashing minerals out. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kbb0185
on 10/15/14 4:59 am
RNY on 07/15/14

I seem to get a lot of sodium....this is a dumb question I know, but is that the same as salt?  Today for example I have had 1864 of sodium...

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/15/14 5:32 am

the 1864 gr - is still shy of 2500... plus you drink water - that will wa**** out.. 

Also - sodium- in processed food is no the same as minerals.. you may be craving other minerals that body associate with sodium- craving for salty things...potassium, magnesium, etc...

13 weeks out - how do you get even 1800 mg daily - every day???  or is that just today?  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 453 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 411 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 352 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 352 views