Vitamins

ClaudiaW
on 10/29/14 1:45 am - Rockwall, TX

Can someone help explain all we need Im a little confused.

I took the multi Vitamin. I took the b12. is that everyday? Im just one sure which is daily and which is one a week. Calcium? Iron?

molly3613
on 10/29/14 2:14 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I take what is recommended:  everyday I do this

am ... 500 mg calciun, multi vitamin

noon ... 500 mg. Calcium

pm ... 500 mg. Calcium, multi

bedtime ... B12 sublingual, 500 mg. vitamin C (facilitates absorption of iron). 75 mg. Iron

Twice a week(M and F) i take 50,000 D3 which facilitates absorption of calcium

i inderstand this ia the minimum nd is adjusted according to your lab work.

KateinBaltimore
on 10/29/14 2:17 am

So, there are people here who know a lot more about general vitamin recommendations than I do, however here is my personal vitamin regimen.  My regimen is tailored to my lab reports.  I take these every day in five different doses (all 2-3 hours apart depending on how soon I get started in the morning):

1) 2 x GNC Women's Ultra Mega 'One a Days'

2) 2 x Calcium Citrate w/Magnesium & D3 (equals 600 mg elemental calcium); 1 x D3 gel cap (2000 IU)

3) 2 x Calcium Citrate w/Magnesium & D3 (equals 600 mg elemental calcium); 1 x Zinc tablet (50mg)

4) 2 x Calcium Citrate w/Magnesium & D3 (equals 600 mg elemental calcium); 1 x Fish Oil gel cap (1200mg, 720 mg Omega-3)

5) 1 x subingual B12 (1000mcg); 1 x 65mg iron; 1 x Vit C 1000 mg; 1 x tsp. natural calm Magnesium dissolved in water

If this seems like a lot (which it is), I'd just like to stress that I get my labs done regularly and use my doctor's feedback from those labs to develop or change my regimen.  That's the best advice I have.  Listen to your doctor.  Allow your regimen to change to meet your labs.

"Facing it, always facing it, that’s the way to get through. Face it." Conrad

KateinBaltimore
on 10/29/14 2:57 am

I'm 2.5 years out so I've been doing it as described above (in five doses) for quite some time.  However, the poster above me has got me thinking.  Maybe I could get down to four doses a day.  Can anyone think of a reason that I couldn't take my multis with my other vitamins? 

The first thing I was worried about was not being able to absorb the calcium from the multi when taken with addition calcium because there's only so much we can absorb at one time.  However, the calcium in my multi is 500 mg Calcium Carbonate per pill.  If I'm not going to absorb it anyway, does keeping the multis separate matter?

The second thing I was worried about is that my multis contain 18 mg of Iron as Ferrous Fumarate per pill.  Is this enough iron that it would negatively impact absorbing my calcium pills?

Dee.spunk
on 10/29/14 4:27 am - Sacramento, CA
From what I understand, we need to take them separately to absorb things more completely . The iron needs to be taken separately from calcium because calcium blocks the absorption of iron.

I take everything two hours apart
1)multi
2) calcium citrate (which has Vit. D) plus another Vit. D
3)multi
4) calcium
5) calcium
6)calcium
7) iron and Vit. C
My calcium was a little low, so I was told to take it four times a day.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

KateinBaltimore
on 10/29/14 12:28 pm

So you separate your multis too?

poet_kelly
on 10/29/14 4:22 pm - OH

Iron does not negatively impact absorbing calcium ever, no matter how much iron it is.

Calcium negatively impacts absorbing iron.  That's an important distinction.

If you take your multi with your calcium citrate, you won't absorb the iron in the multi.  You will absorb the calcium citrate.  It it depends on whether or not you want to get the iron from your multi.

I only take my vitamins four times a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dragonlove
on 10/29/14 7:40 am
RNY on 11/20/13

And whether or not you need to take he B12 daily or weekly depends on the dosage. There are several different strengths.  

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

poet_kelly
on 10/29/14 4:20 pm - OH

According to the ASMBS, two multivitamins, 1500 mg calcium citrate and iron are daily.  B12 depends on the dose.  If you use  sublingual, they recommend 500 mcg a day.  But you could take 1000 mcg every other day or you could take 3500 mcg once a week, etc.  If you use the nasal spray, it's recommended once a week.  If you use injections, it's recommended once a month.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chilipepper
on 11/1/14 12:05 am

It's not necessary to take all those supplements. 

I take 4 Bariatric Fusion chewables a day and that gives you everything you need. They have found a way to formulate everything you need including your calcium into 4 chewables. The science has advanced over the years

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views