Upper abdominal pain

Stay72
on 11/3/14 6:10 am

I am a little more than 3 months post-op and a couple weeks ago started to develop severe stomach cramping and gnawing pain in my middle upper abdomen, just below my bra.  It comes and goes, but never goes away completely.  When it is bad, I have slight nausea, discomfort with breathing, and no matter how I am positioned....laying down or sitting up....it does not go away until it is ready to.  Same goes for eating or drinking.  Neither seem to help one way or the other....well, maybe slightly.  It resonates throughout my entire chest area when it is at its worst.  I have spoken with a nurse at my surgeon's office and have my 3 month check-up in a week.  She offered to try to get me in sooner, but I live almost 200 miles away from their office, so I told her I would just let her know if it gets worse.  I had my 3 month labs drawn last week, so they are supposed to review them and call me back today.  I would just like to know if anyone else has had issues like this?  My nurse said it could be an ulcer, my gallbladder, or something as simple as lactose intolerance.  (I have since cut out dairy).  I also have a close friend who had gastric bypass and afterwards experienced a perforated bowel.  She told me the pain I am describing sounds exactly like what she had with the perforated bowel.  I'm a little worried, to say the least, and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

ClaudiaW
on 11/3/14 8:22 am - Rockwall, TX

I am only two weeks out from surgery but I am having the same pain you are describing. I go to the doctor tomorrow and will see what they say. I just developed this a few days ago. Id like to know what others say as well.

Caroline K.
on 11/3/14 9:03 am

I've had something similar but accompanied by back pain, nausea and vomiting. I'm pretty sure it's gallbladder related, and I'm scheduled for gallbladder surgery November 18. Luckily, it'll be done by my RNY surgeon, who said he'd take a look around while he was in there.

good luck!

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Braceface
on 11/3/14 10:42 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

I have similar pain when I ran out of my prescription acid reducing medication. I took a Prilosec antacid and very quickly the pain went away confirming the problem was acid related. 

AngryViking
on 11/3/14 8:45 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

Ditto to the acid reducer.  I was having the same feeling, like an empty gnawing feeling.  Not necessarily painful, just "there", you know?  At my three month I mentioned it and the doc said it sounds like gastritis and put me back on famotidine.  The feeling went away within a day.

CHELLEYGIRL
on 11/3/14 10:57 pm - PALMDALE, CA

I am 3 years out from my RNY and have the same pain, feels like a spasm in my tummy. I havent had my gallbladder in 14 years so i knowfor me its not that. I had an abdominal ultrasound done and they found my common bile duct is engorged and has a sludge build up. Now i'm fighting with the iNS co. to see a GI doc. Good luck to you on this and I hope they figure it out quickly. It took them a year to find mine. 

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

Sandie E.
on 11/3/14 10:58 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Have you looked up esophageal spasms? I have them and it may be that. 

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Poodlemac
on 11/4/14 11:11 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Sounds to me like gallbladder, maybe stones. They are very common after WLS. I Hope it's not!  Keep us posted!

Stay72
on 11/5/14 2:33 am

Well, day before yesterday my doc called in Prilosec and Carafate (anti-ulcer med).  I started taking them that evening and have only had one episode of cramping since then.  I know there is no way for them to diagnose me over the phone, so I am anxious to see them at my appointment on Monday! Thankfully they were willing to at least try this in the meantime and it seems to have helped.  Thank you for all of the input, everyone! I really appreciate it!!  I will let you know what I find out.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 355 views