no comorbidities

princessjess73
on 11/11/14 10:37 am - Lees Summit, MO

I got denied with comorbids for the lap band when my BMW was 35. Then I got denied at 35-36 with hx of comorbids for rny and wham my bmi went up and I was approved and I am sure that they were tired of the other claims and same yr I was dx with degenerative joint but I had X-rays to dx even after years of complaining. The lady measured me two inches shorter than actual- funny but I was measured many times and by that mistake that was put in my pre approval and was approved.

claimingsuccess
on 11/11/14 10:44 am

That's crazy. I'm 3 months into my 6 month supervised diet and exercise program. At this point I'm unsure if I should have my band removed. Who knows if insurance will pay for the removal since" there is nothing wrong with my band." 

bublegirl1
on 11/11/14 4:43 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Well but you couldn't keep any food down and had to have it unfilled then gained your weight back so maybe that will play a factor in getting approved. You need something permanent. 

-Amie

HLen
on 11/11/14 11:10 am
RNY on 07/11/14

I had/have NO comorbidities and just a high BMI, I was approved, no problem.  Always check your insurance though, they have the guidelines.. My Dr actually required more from me than my insurance.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

MickeyDee
on 11/11/14 3:35 pm

Why not try another surgeon?  

Ocalasam
on 11/11/14 9:35 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Definitely check your insurance requirements.  Each one is different.  I did not have to have comorbidities, but I could have found some if I needed to.  Sleep apnea is also common if you have a high BMI, as well as GERD.  Good luck!

JenniPenny
on 11/12/14 12:36 am - MN

If there'snothing wrong with your band why are you having it removed? Have it filled a little at a time until you find that sweet spot that works for you in limiting how much you eat. Picking out the best foods for you is your decision- the band is just a help to allow you to lose the weight. Make conscioncious decisions about what foods you put in your mouth,make  the diet part  of this work for you and have them refill the band as needed. Many have multiple fills and de-fills until they find what works for them. You're very lucky the band is still in place and working , many bandsters aren't that lucky. Instead of another surgery and recovery, try to make what you have work for you. This surgery - no matter what kind is only a tool,  We have to eat sensibly, count calories and carbs, exercise and drink lots of water. You can also outeat the RNY, changing eating habits and following a strick meal  plan every day is what works for us post op. You are lucky that you already have your band,  work with your doctor to make it work weight wise for you. It can be done but you'll have to work closely with your medical team to find the way to personalize it just for you. good luck.

Jen 14 yrs post op RNY

claimingsuccess
on 11/12/14 1:22 am

I have been thinking about working with my band. I'm just remembering the pain and discomfort when I had a fill. Knwing all the complications associated with the band makes me worry about the future with the band.