Had surgery 3 years ago and I'm stuck! Suggestions?

selhard
on 11/24/14 10:38 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My always-thin DH swears he watches what he eats which has been an irritant for me to hear.  I'm overdue in admitting his preferred food choices align with WLS plans, he's an active person both on-the-job and at home, and his 6'5" male body needs more food than me.  There's a reason the word "denial" has the letter "I" in it!  

SkinnyScientist
on 11/25/14 5:22 pm

I AGREE!

In college, I had a room-mate that was UNDERWEIGHT. She had to work just as hard at GAINING weight, as I did at losing.

There are some size 2-4s at work (living stick people!!!). They play soccer. They eat thai. But I have watched them (and even went to lunch with them a few times) and they always practice portion control and seem to pick tasty, yet healthier options on the menu.

In emulating them, I am now on meal 4 of probably 8 after a trip to the whole foods hot bistro in which "thanksgiving meal" was on the menu.    Prior to surgery..this would have been 1 or 2 meals.  Now we are approaching 8...maybe 6.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

fatmackn
on 11/24/14 10:47 am - Adelaide, Australia

If the diet doesn't work, go for a revision. Your options are a band around the pouch which works well, a longer bypass or conversion to a duodenal switch

White Dove
on 11/24/14 10:01 pm - Warren, OH

My body changed after surgery and I can no longer do quick weight loss.  I do weigh myself daily.  If I see a pound or two up on the scale, I work on getting it off.  Losing a pound a week is good for me. 

I don't have any forbidden foods.  I eat five or six times a day and average 200 calories each time.  Main meals are 300 or 400 calories.  I stay at about 1400 calories a day to maintain my goal of 136. 

If I am determined to lose some weight, then I use My Fitness Pal and track every bite.  That is how I can take off a pound or even two pounds some weeks.  If I want to eat something like bread, cake, pie, candy, chips or cookies, then I count those calories as one of my meals. 

The most important change for me has been weighing daily.  If I stop doing that it is like giving my body permission to gain weight.  Knowing the number on the scale is what keeps me focused.

You can get rid of the excess weight and use your tool again, but you have to weigh daily and you have to take the needed time.  A pound a week will be 52 pounds a year from now.  If you continue what you are doing you will still be carrying that extra 52 pounds next year.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

kellybelly333
on 11/27/14 11:04 pm - Toronto, Canada

What do you do for exercise? Moving is a big factor to loss and maintenance. You are just two weeks apart from when I had my surgery. :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!