Technically, what is a "low carb/high protein" diet?

Pokemom
on 12/21/14 10:34 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I also posted this on the nutrition forum, but i think of the RNY board as "my main place"!

Hello all. I am doing the pre-op diet for my upcoming surgery, scheduled for Dec 29! (And yes, i am a little nervous, but clear-eyed and committed and so grateful for this opportunity.)

Sorry if this question is overly technical, but I wonder if anyone has guidelines about what is technically a "low carb" diet? By some accounts, you should limit carb servings to one starch/day and 2 fruits/day. Some "low carb" diets eliminate all starches and all fruits. Some "low carb" diets cut out all milk products.

Are there guidelines for "low carb" that are based on the number of carb grams/day? Or on the ratio of carb grams to protein grams?

For my pre-op diet, my doctor's office strongly encourages using real food, rather than protein drinks. We _can_ use protein drinks, but the doctor really really emphasized how much he preferred we use real, regular foods, and to track these on a tool like MyFitnessPal or something similar. He wants us to limit calories to 1000/day, and to eat a "high protein low carbohydrate diet." The guidelines do suggest Lean Cuisine as an example of an acceptable meal choice, so I know some carbs are OK.

I appreciate how this approach to the pre-op diet is helping me to become more familiar with options for tracking my nutrition, and for helping me to see real food as the ultimate goal all along. I appreciate how it is getting me to really evaluate the macro nutrients content of what I am eating. Definitely there are things I am changing each day as I evaluate what I have tracked the day before.

However, I really am wondering if I meet the requirements? I want something a little more specific to hang on to, I guess. So I would really love any input on this.

Long post, I know! But I will still add this p.s. link to Peter Attia's blog for anyone looking for carb/protein/fat guidelines for nutritional ketosis. http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nutrition/ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist

poet_kelly
on 12/21/14 11:41 am - OH

I don't think there are any "official" guidelines.  You can ask your doc if he has specific limits to the amount of carbs and how much protein he recommends. Most surgeons seem to recommend at least 60 grams of protein a day.

I don't know why surgeons suggest Lean Cuisine.  I think they just assume patients are too lazy or too stupid to prepare their own balanced meals.  But frozen dinners, even if low carb, tend to be high in sodium and not that healthy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 12/21/14 11:52 am - Warren, OH

If you cut to between 20 and 40 carbs a day your body will go into ketosis.  That will take away your appetite and cause you to lose weight rapidly.  You can check to see if you are in ketosis by using ketone test strips available from your pharmacy.  You hold a stick in a stream of urine and then check to see if it turns purple.

If you get up to 50 carbs a day, you will go out of ketosis and stop burning fat.

To stay at under 50 carbs a day, eat only meats, with low carb vegetables and a few berries.  Give up milk, bread, potatoes, rice, sugar, pasta and anything made with flour or sugar.  Measure and weigh everything and track on My Fitness Pal.  You will be amazed how quickly the weight will start falling off if you do this correctly.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NYMom222
on 12/21/14 10:49 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Low carb is a relative word. Yes there are some who go very low carb as mentioned 20-40g a day, yet 100g would still be considered low carb compared to what people normally eat. I think in the beginning you are going to be at no more than 40-50g without trying, You can't eat that much. I read an article once on Bariatric eating.com that said 75g was the sweet spot (pun not intended LOL) for weight loss, although can't remember why that number. Probably weight loss vs. depravation feelings. Just my guess. While not using protein shakes is a novel idea, I am just about 5 months out and I still need them to make my protein goals. I aim for 80g a day.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sherrie P.
on 12/22/14 1:55 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I would not over think this too much - if your doctor's office didn't give you specifics, they are probably looking for a generally low carb diet... might as well go ahead and eliminate sugar from your menu.  Sweets and breads make you hungry for more. Like previously posted if you take the added sugar and flour/rice/pasta out of your diet you will be less hungry.  Supposedly a low carb diet is good for liver shrinking as well.

Post op... water and protein will be your mantra. Stay dehydrated and get your protein in first and foremost. 

Good luck with your surgery!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

chulbert
on 12/22/14 9:59 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

There's no official rule but most low-carbohydrate diets limit intake to 10 - 30% of total calories.  On a 1,000 calorie diet, this works out to 25 - 75g of carbs per day.

Pokemom
on 12/24/14 8:29 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thank you everyone for these helpful posts, each of which gave me insight, perspective and confidence.  I appreciate so much the honest, informed, and kind attitude shown on these boards.  I have already learned so much and hope to be an expert one day too.  Happy Christmas to all of us!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 437 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views