Garcinia Cambogia Extract

susanh56
on 12/28/14 2:14 am

Any comments on this weight loss supplement??

karin602
on 12/28/14 3:23 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Dr. Oz did a piece on this and did say it was good for some weight loss BUT you have to be careful what you're getting. Not all is as advertised. Are you looking at rebound gain? I am beginning maintenance and fear that. I am extremely aware of everything I eat and don't want to slip back into my old habits. 

Karin

lynnc99
on 12/28/14 4:19 am

Well, Dr. Oz says a lot of things. If not gardenia cambogia, it's green coffee bean extract or raspberry stuff or something. And in the past couple of weeks, it's come to light that the good Dr. Oz really peddles a lot of hooey, especially in the area of weight loss.

I am 5 1/2 years out and dealing with a bit of regain. I feel as if I'm at a crossroads - return to my "good" weight, or risk moving on up the scale.

I've chosen the former. 

How am I doing it? Not via anything you find on TV. No miracle drugs or supplements (other than my normal vitamins.) My daily eating plan looks something like this:

2 servings of lean protein

2 servings of starch

2 servings of fruit

1 serving of dairy

1 serving of fat

1 serving of a fat free condiment

The other recommendation I would give is to MOVE your body! Exercise is, for us, like a prescription drug. Spend those $$ on a good pair of walking shoes and some light weights, or find a gym you truly love. 

And pass on the fads. We've all been there, done that. We know better. 

JenniPenny
on 12/28/14 7:19 am - MN

WE had weight loss surgery to have a permanent tool to use to take off the excess weight and keep it off. Using supplements to lose is sort of a waste of time and money. You have a great "tool" in place to use any time you want to. Supplements can be bad for us post op as we digest and absorb things differently. My doc doesn't want us on anything supplemental except our vitamins that are required for RNY patients. Most supplements don't do what they say, aren't that good for you and are pushed because someone's making money on the selling end. Use the tool you have, get in the right amount of food and water and exercise per day and you'll be fine. We lose when we eat less than we burn off and gain when we take in more than we burn off. Simple as that. This RNY helps us lose and maintain. We have to learn what to do on a daily basis and make sure we change our eating habits. Depending on a supplement or shake to take off our excess withou****ching our diet, or using pills to lose when we can do it ourselves is setting us up for failure.

Learn how to eat with your new surgery. You'll take the weight off, keep it off and be healthier in the long run. No need to take anything now to lose, we have something with us all day every day - we just have to learn how to use it.

Jen RNY 14 yrs post op

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?