Exercise Question....

Browneyedgirl33
on 1/1/15 5:03 am

When did you guys start exercising after surgery?  I have to tell you I am still weak it seems and I am finishing up my 7th week.  I love to workout but I seem to be too tired at night when I get home from work.  I cant seem to have energy to make it work yet since surgery.  I think that is what is depressing me the most because if I felt energy to workout I would not be so depressed. What did you do to get yourself going with exercise?  Any tips at this point would be really helpful :)

Grim_Traveller
on 1/1/15 5:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I was told no lifting until 8 weeks. But any kind of cardio was encouraged.

Start walking. Try to do a little more each day. Very little activity will make you feel more lethargic than too much activity.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 1/1/15 5:35 am

Honestly, i did nothing until the 7 month mark. I was exhausted and quite honestly lazy. Maybe try to just do 10 minutes of walking to start and build up from there. Do not beat yourself up about it. My energy did not kick in until the six month mark.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/1/15 5:37 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I was really exhausted after surgery for the first two months.  I went back to work at 2 weeks -- and I work on my feet on a busy campus.  I used to come home ready for a nap -- certainly not like me at all.  

My son and I both have a fitness monitor (ours are cheap ones that go with the Wii U Fit) -- that monitors our steps , etc.  So my first goal was to just get 5000 steps a day.  I usually got at least 2 to 3 thousand just working and going through the day -- and adding the rest wasn't too overwhelming.  My son and I made it a competition -- and he loved beating me at first.  This served two purposes: got me more aware of my movement and got my son a bit more active, too.  To this day, my son wears his everyday.  

These days I rarely have a day with less than 15000 steps -- and I often beat my son.  Truthfully, I do not believe that exercise really makes any difference in weight loss.  I do believe it is good for our mood and overall health.  I got a family membership to our local YMCA so that all of us can find fun ways to increase our activity together.  I would have never done this before. 

I would guess that a lot of your depression is hormone dumping.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/15 7:34 am

Everyone is different. If you are feeling tired, listen to your body and rest. You may be getting more activity than you realize at work.

My surgery was Dec 15 and I was told not to lift anything heavier than a jug of milk for 2 weeks. I have a Jawbone and am back up to around 10,000 steps a day. This coming Monday I will be 3 weeks out and start seeing my trainer again for 30 min, 3x a week.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/15 8:27 am

If you are consistently tired at the end of your work day, how about trying to do it before work?  Would that work for you?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views