Worries after recent surgery...is it really OK to eat so little? Calories, protein, brain...

hollykim
on 1/3/15 5:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 3, 2015 at 7:09 AM Pacific Time, Pokemom wrote:

Hi! I am 5 days after RNY surgery.  Today is my second day on the full liquid diet.  I am following my doctor's plan. As I track my eating, I realize just how few calories I am eating.  And how little protein.  I wonder...can a person really survive on this? Am I doing something wrong?  

I realize I am still in the most early healing stages, and I am not at all surprised or troubled by eating very small portions.  I expected and accepted that.  It is just that when I see the numbers in my tracker, I am worried.

Yesterday, I ate three meals, each 2 oz.  So, 2 oz cottage cheese, 2 oz cottage cheese, 2 oz puréed soup.  With my liquid vitamins added in, my total calorie intake was 178, and my protein intake was just 15 grams.  I can up my protein today by doing 3 servings of cottage cheese, but that will be only 21 G protein for the day.  

My doctor's office emphasizes eating protein first.  But they also emphasize, no protein drinks.

As my diet advances in the weeks to come, my portions are still supposed to be 2 oz, 3 times/day.  How will I get enough protein?  How will those few calories sustain me as I start intense exercising again?  

i do feel light headed and hungry sometimes...the kind of hunger that feels like low blood sugar.  Today I am trying to increase my water intake.  I am up to about 48 oz/day so far.

we are ok eating this am all amount for several months. As Lin as we have plenty of fat,and we do,right?,we will not starve because our body is breaking down our stored fat for energy. 

I also don't think 6 ounces of food a day Indefinately would work for me,so I,personally,would disregard that part of my surgeons plan. 

STB
on 1/3/15 8:17 am
RNY on 07/21/14

The first priority is fluids - water, sugar free popsicles (NOT no sugar added - there is a difference), sugar free jello - dehydration is the first thing to prevent. I was told to sip protein shakes - premiere protein shakes have 30 gms of protein. Lots of people get different advice. I need protein shakes (5 months post op) as lots of foods I can't tolerate yet. In terms of calories, you are fine for now. Will they eventually have you on vitamins? Good luck. It can be overwhelming in the beginning but it DOES get better. I had a lot of the same low blood sugar symptoms and at about a month out was feeling MUCH better.

SHARON  

NYMom222
on 1/3/15 11:46 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I think all the advice you've gotten has been great. I am a shake person, it's hard to imagine getting in enough protein without it.  I am working on trying to get more food protein in. That being said at 5+ months out I only eat 2-3oz of meat/chicken etc at one time. I do try to add some veggies or salad, and if I am having something soft like cottage cheese it is more like 4-5 oz. Just to give you a reference. I usually put 3 oz on my plate but often can't fini**** Yes keep your fluids up. That will make you feel the worst if you get dehydrated.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Pokemom
on 1/3/15 12:13 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

This all really has been great advice, great perspective.  I appreciate it so much!  Thanks!