Blockage at stoma=pain, yikes!

Mthatch1
on 1/13/15 9:22 am
RNY on 12/08/14 with

I am 5 weeks post-op, and tonight I had my first episode with a blockage at my stoma after eating tuna and cottage cheese.  After I became panic stricken and was just spitting up foam my husband suggested I drink water and now it's starting to subside.. I had some horrific epigastric pain that radiated thru to my back, and boy oh boy I do not want to experience that again... I'm glad my surgeons office called me back also...thanks for listening!

NoDaybut2Day
on 1/13/15 10:08 am - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

Oh Holy Cow!  That sounds scary.  I'm glad you're OK.  I've wondered if I would know right away if I got a blockage and it sure sounds like I would.  Eating slowly is one of the things that's a bit hard for me so I think about this every once in a while.  I'll remember the pain you talk about and get myself to slow down! 

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

NYMom222
on 1/13/15 10:57 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had a bad experience with Tuna early out. I think it kind of balls up and gets stuck. I hate the foamies! Glad you got past it. The other thing that has caused 'stuck' is too dry food.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Dartmouth
on 1/13/15 11:29 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Tuna is really an easy and low cal protein meal but it is dry...I usually mix it with enough Greek yogurt to make it almost runny....also sometimes put it in soup to boost the protein...

Hope it goes down better next time!

joan

knolmom
on 1/13/15 11:49 am

Last week, I had a similar incident involving white meat chicken. I ate it dry and within minutes I was in horrible pain. I knew just what it was from reading this forum, but that didn't help much. Despite walking around and drinking warm water, I had multiple incidence of the foamies and the chicken wouldn't come up or go down for about an hour and a half. I referred to it as " death by Chicken" and I will NEVER eaT any kind  of  dry meat or fish again.

Poodlemac
on 1/13/15 12:30 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

My first bad experience was with brisket. I was SO sick!  I threw up some slimy, aloe Vera kind of stuff that honestly could lubricate a car engine!  I WAS MISERABLE!  Threw up 3-4 times. It was awful. I now keep papaya enzymes and I pop a couple of those puppies at the slightest feeling of discomfort. The other night a had a tiny roasted chicken leg that clearly was from Satans chicken farm because that tiny thing kicked my ass!!  Papaya to the rescue. That pain is no bueno!!!

nicupnorth
on 1/13/15 12:41 pm - Eagle river, WI

Same thing happened to me, I'm surprised it's even on my soft diet menu!  I agree with Poodlemac the phlegm that came up was something out of Ghostbusters! 

iamkiki69
on 1/13/15 12:53 pm

I've been having the same problem off and on up until last week.  I went to see the Dr. for my 5 week check up and he prescribed carafate.  He says I may have a stricture and if I do he will go in and fix it.  But he thinks my pouch just became irritated, hence the carafate.   Hopefully this will work to heal the pouch I now call "The Beast".  The foamies are awful!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 387 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views