17 months out! updates and questions. Id love to post a pic if i could figure this out!

Ms_Silly
on 1/17/15 12:25 am

My journey has been great. I don't log in much here anymore, mostly because I have less questions than I did in the beginning. My highest weight ever was 297 lbs. My lowest weight since surgery was 146 lbs. My current weight fluctuates between 149-152 lbs day to day. I do way almost daily (which they say not to do). But the reason I chose to is because I never weighed before and I feel like that was part of my problem. My goal randomly selected weight was 155 lbs. I had never been thin, this is why I said "randomly selected" because in all actuality I had no idea what 155 would look or feel like. In the last 6 months I have gotten married, moved, and bought my oh so spoiled fur baby. I hit my lowest weight at 146 a couple of months before my wedding. It was so scary putting my dress on because I knew my weight had still been dropping! Alterations were high dollar omg! lol. Anyways, I started to freak out just a little when I started to see that number rising on the scale because I have only been seeing loss up until about 3 months ago! But I have to admit it was a kick in the but to remind myself that I needed to work out harder and more frequently. I feel good about my routine for the most part. I have never claimed to be a poster child for RNY but I'd like to think I could/do inspire others. I work out about every other day, some times more, sometimes less. The winter is KILLING ME since I depend on the open road and home work outs. No gym membership here. I'm happy with my weight, the fluctuation between 149-152 is comfortable. I'm in a size 9/10. I have some size 8 jeans that fit very well too but they are for sure but hugging jeans that are less forgiving in the tummy area. I'd rather wear the 9/10 and not feel like I have the muffin top. I'm young, 25, and my skin has done a fantastic job of trying to keep up with the weight loss. Now that things arent loss loss loss I can for sure tell the difference time has made. My stomach and upper thighs looks the worst but I shouldnt complain because I know it could be worse. I want to post pics for you but I have a new computer now and I cant figure out how to. :( makes me sad, why isnt there a simple upload button on these forums?!?! Anyways, my biggest issue has been fighting off stomach ulcers. I have had 2 that have been treated since after surgery. I'm trying to wean off of Nexium now but the acid rebound of taking nexium is way worse than it ever was before taking it. I think this might end up being a forever drug for me :( 

One question I'd really love some feedback on is vitamins. I have had a difficult time with constipation when taking bariatric specific vitamins. I have switched to womens Alive gummy vitamins for the past 2-3 months. The daily serving suggestion is 3 gummies, so I double up and take 6. I also still take separate calcium. I know I should pick up the phone and call my NUT but I figured I just wait it out until my next blood work was done for the test of time to speak for itself. However, I'd love to hear if you take gummies and how effective they are in meeting your daily needs? 

One girl I met one time was only about a month out told me she was told to take a flinstone vitamin every day and my jaw about hit the floor. I still dont know if I believe her! Anyways these Alive gummies seem to be making me very regular with my BM and everything feels normal and so much better, so of course I want to stay on this track. 

I'm going to sound silly right now... but I need to ask... at 17 months out has my body learned how to absorb everything now? Is the process of malabsorption reversed at this point? Ive read about it very little. Seems like what I have read suggest that our bodies eventually work through this? 

Thanks for reading!

Ms_Silly
on 1/17/15 12:33 am

I was able to upload the 17 month photos to my page. Just now sure how to get them here...

Zonechef
on 1/17/15 2:25 pm
RNY on 12/03/14

You look Marvelous. If I wasn't happily married and old enough to easily be you father I would be crushing hard. Phenomenal accomplishment.

The Salty Hag
on 1/17/15 1:31 am
RNY on 05/20/13

You look fabulous!! Congrats! 

I found this while searching for info: Credit for this goes to Lora aka ****rogirl, The PhD Version.

"First, be sure that you understand that the malabsorption of macronutrients (calories, fat, etc.) is only temporary while malabsorption of micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) is permanent.  Almost as soon as you have surgery, your body begins the process of growing additional villi and lengthening the existing villi in the non-bypassed portion of the intestine, and by 18-24 months out, you are again absorbing most of the calories you eat (around 90%... The other 10% appears to be permanent malabsorption and appears to be mostly malabsorption of fats). The vitamin malabsorption, however, is permanent since there a specific places in the intestinal system that do the majority of the work of absorbing the vitamins and that is the portion that has been bypassed.  We still absorb SOME vitamins from our food (and supplements), of course, but it is limited."

Me again :)

Vitamins: Some post-ops are told to take Flintstones. There are a few years out vets in my local support group who do. I don't believe they are a good choice since they are missing some of the things we need.

I have no clue how gummy vitamins work for us. I take Centrum Silver, and to battle constipation, I take Benefiber and I don't eat only low fat foods. I don't eat fried or junk foods, but I will use full fat dairy products in cooking, eat full fat cheeses, and I cook with grapeseed, or coconut oils. I think incorporating some healthy fats into our diets is often overlooked or looked down upon ( since it's "fat" ) as a way to keep things running smoothly. I don't just sit at home eating sticks of butter or guzzling down heavy whipping cream, but I'd rather use real butter rather than margarine. 

Hope all of this helps! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ms_Silly
on 1/17/15 1:56 am

Thanks so much for your reply.  I need to look into those centrum vitamins I keep seeing them pop up when I search forums.  Sounds like you have a great regimen and it all makes sense to me.  I do mostly those things too, ive tried benefiber but I wasn't consistent with it :( thanks again,  I appreciate the info on malabsorbtion and I understand it. 

cspotrun
on 1/17/15 5:15 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I just want to say you look amazing! What a difference!!  

I use Centrum....2 a day, also take calcium and iron.  

Karen   

Ms_Silly
on 1/17/15 5:29 am

thank you so much! What calcium do you like? Im taking calcium wafers right now by Twin lab. They are ok, but very chalky. Ive just gotten use to them.

cspotrun
on 1/17/15 8:27 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I take Citrical 2 pills 3 times per day. I swallow them though, not chewable. 

Karen   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?